Looking for HD800 replacment
Oct 8, 2013 at 7:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

pila405

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I currently own a pair of HD-800 (S/N 2XXXX) and would like to replace them with a more balanced pair of headphones, a pair with more bass and mids and less treble. 
It should be within the same price range (I don't mind buying a used pair) of 1200$. I listen mostly and almost only to 'Classical' music. (orchestra,chamber,vocal etc'...)

Thanks in advance!

Oct 8, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #3 of 21
+1

Oct 8, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 21
Have tried them with Buffalo DAC and Beta22 Amp and I still think they are not balanced...

I am looking for something which is balanced more like the ES3X, but with a bit less mid and a bit more treble, and of course better overall sound.

Oct 8, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #6 of 21
As I said, rig is not the issue. I have tried them with better rig and my opinion is still the same.

I want something with acoustics which resembles the sound in the Concertgebouw in the best seats. (I know it also depends on the musicians, size and placement of the orchestra, but the overall sound is warm and extremely detailed)

Oct 8, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #7 of 21
Perhaps the HD800 just isn't for you-but I've found that system synergy trumps all when it comes to getting the most from the HD800. A 'better rig' that still finds the Senn lacking in bass weight, with a pronounced treble isn't what I'd call a better rig-regardless of cost.

-Daniel

Oct 8, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #8 of 21
TH900.  Your pico amp should still be able to drive it. 
rolleyes.gif
  'Course I wouldn't describe the TH900 as portable.  Who would venture it?

But I've noticed a trend with a lot of audiophiles that they start with high end headphones and work backwards.  Maybe it's about the look...

Oct 8, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #10 of 21
I want something with acoustics which resembles the sound in the Concertgebouw in the best seats. (I know it also depends on the musicians, size and placement of the orchestra, but the overall sound is warm and extremely detailed)

what you want isn't available in commercial music recordings, home playback - have you listened to your reference recordings on high end (or rather actually "good") $$$$ speaker systems, speakers properly placed in a big enough and well sound treated listening room?

that's usually the "best" presentation since that's the way recordings are mastered, expected to be played back - and it still isn't exactly "like being there" - and theres lots of controversy over what are "good" speakers, frequency/phase response to directivity, to exact room treatment goals

in fact most recording tech is about painting a "hyper-real" illusion from the very start of the process with multiple microphones with mic type selection, placement and on through lots of signal processing of those many mic feeds treated with EQ, compression, added reverb... all aimed at exploiting human perceptual illusions, tricks, even cultural conventions in the mixing

headphones are always going to sound different than speakers in a room - headphone "sound stage" is joke at best without binaural recordings or virtualization processing

and why buy different headphones to just make frequency response changes that EQ can handle - the HD800 do seem to be basically OK in broad, smooth range of response, relatively low distortion

you can however get very close to what the mastering engineer heard by using the Smyth Realizer, getting personal calibrations in the mixing studio hot seat - or "collect" dealer's demo rooms, great private setups - anywhere you can rent, cajole, bribe your way into the sweet spot for 1/2 hr with the Realizer for a personalized measurement

Oct 9, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #11 of 21
  Hi,

I currently own a pair of HD-800 (S/N 2XXXX) and would like to replace them with a more balanced pair of headphones, a pair with more bass and mids and less treble. 
It should be within the same price range (I don't mind buying a used pair) of 1200$. I listen mostly and almost only to 'Classical' music. (orchestra,chamber,vocal etc'...)

Thanks in advance!

Wouldn't an equaliser fix your issues?

Oct 9, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #12 of 21
Fostex TH900 - give it a try before making a jump

Oct 9, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #13 of 21
If you still have the HD800 perhaps look into the felt mod that seems to dampen the treble and emphasize the bass in all of the right ways.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/diy-modification-sennheiser-hd-800-anaxilus-mod

It may end up that $8 worth of materials and little work make the HD800 that much better for you.

Through my gear the modified HD800 is the most dynamic headphone I have heard making all of my reference material that much more enjoyable.  This is coming from the AKG K712 Pro and Denon AH-D2000.

You could try the AKG K712 Pro, but to me the coherence of the HD800 is found in no other headphone.

Oct 9, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #14 of 21
Thanks guys. I am currently using EQ, and will try the mod :)

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #15 of 21
  As I said, rig is not the issue. I have tried them with better rig and my opinion is still the same.

Concertgebouw = concert building/hall click for link, then you will understand what he is referring to!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back