Looking for guidance on recabling effort for Shure E500
Jul 5, 2012 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

meats

New Head-Fier
A couple years ago I purchased the Shure E500s. They sound great, however the cable is getting rigid and the wire was exposed in one area before I covered it up with some sugru. I think this is a major complaint with the E500s.

While I am normally a DIY type of guy, I don't think I have the heart to bust open these earphones. Can anyone recommend a hobbyist here or a company that will perform a recable with some extras? I've reached out to 1964 ears, but they would only re-cable when they put new molds/shells on and that doesn't get me everything I want and costs a bunch.

Wishlist
  1. A new cable that is durable
  2. Cable that has built in smartphone controls for Play/Pause, Back/Forward
  3. OPTIONAL: inline controls has mic and/or volume adjustment
  1. OPTIONAL: detachable cable (although I know this would require remold/shell)

Any direction here would be greatly appreciated, I have already poured in a couple hours looking into cables and trying to find ones that have built in controls and I'm now I think I need some expert advice.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Jul 5, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #2 of 6
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587586/btg-audio-headphone-recabling-service-great-service

BTG should be able to help. All the info should be in that thread or another if you do a search.

Their site...http://btg-audio.webs.com/

Jul 5, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 6
Try BTG-Audio. Brian has done lots of recabling jobs with great quality and quick turn-around, and might be able to add Westone sockets, if you'd prefer.

Jul 19, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #5 of 6
I am really appreciating the Westone EPICS MICS cable on my redone DBA-02's. Great way to gain the mic/remote functions in a well-built cable.

The Shure mic remote cable modded with Westone pins reduced the bass, which is not a good thing with DBA's. But if anyone is interested in such a cable,please send me a PM.

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #6 of 6
As promised. I just got home and the first thing I did was test out my new earphones. They both work great and Brian knocked it out of the park and all within a week!

Now if I just had as much luck with the new Westone cable I purchased for these earphones, I would be set. The wiring in the right channel is faulty and cuts in and out at best, most of the time it doesnt work. I confirmed the issue was with the cable and not the earphones, so this has nothing to do with BTG Audio. Luckily I have a replaceable cable now, so I can return this one and get another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back