Looking for great sounding, but not necessarily audiophile headphones.
Sep 13, 2009 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

FraGGleR

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, after spending waaaaaay too much time reading through various threads about concepts I had never thought about before, I have decided that I still have no idea which headphones will really make me happy (without spending gobs of money and time buying and trying things out), and just want a pair of headphones that are comfortable and make my music sound nice.

I have no need for perfectly neutral or flat or analytical headphones. I am not an audiophile in that sense (or any sense for that matter). I really want a pair of headphones that can evoke what the musicians were trying to convey, not what the sound engineers recorded on whatever medium they used. In other words, I listen emotionally, not necessarily analytically.

Everything I have is at a minimum 192k mp3's, with the bulk v0 mp3 and small selection of flac, so it's not like I am listening to true audiophile stuff nor am I ever likely going to start paying over $500 for any single piece of equipment. I listen to all genres, but tend to focus on classical (piano and violin concertos and symphonies as opposed to opera), vocal (Norah Jones, Eva Cassidy, Diana Krall), Electronica (Daft Punk, Royksopp, Cube Juice), and every once in awhile some older rap/hip-hop (Wutang, Tupac, Fugees) and musicals (don't judge). I like bass, but I wouldn't call myself a basshead or somebody who needs to rattle my brain, but I certainly do like a healthy bottom end to give music weight and presense. I would like a crispness to my treble, but nothing too bright, I guess. Whatever range (uppermid?) sopranos sing at kill my ears for some reason on most of my headphones right now, so something that doesn't put that range too prominently would be great. My E2c's are perfectly fine, but never excite me. Same with the MDR-V600's. The Sony's are a little harsh on my ears in the upper registers, but they work ok right now if EQ the treble down. I want to take a definite step up in quality of sound over both.

I know there is a trade off between soundstage and isolation, and would probably be happy with something that walked down the middle. Some isolation, but will still give my music some nice space. Semi closed maybe? For the times I want to immerse myself in my music, I will most likely find a place without too much noise so true isolation isn't necessary (I have some IEM's for that). That being said, my AC can be kind of loud so I don't think super open cans would be ideal. Circumaural is preferred.

I would prefer to NOT have to get an amp to enjoy my headphones, but I certainly understand at this point, that if I demand anything of my headphones I will probably need to get one. I would want to stick to portable dac/amp's since I listen in various places depending on mood.

My budget is around $400 for both headphone, cables, amp, etc. in whatever combination is necessary. My sources are a Sansa Clip, Dell Axim x50v, and my laptop (Fujitsu tablet with some High definition Realtek chip and only a headphone out).

It is hard to know still what the right questions are to ask around here. Some questions asked get a single response, and some start a 1000 post thread that lasts several years. I hope to hear from folks that focus more on enjoying their music than what makes the best headphones the best.

Can anyone help out?

BTW, my sig shows what I have and what I have on order right now.

And thank you to everyone that has already helped me in my short time here, and a thank you to everyone that feels like chiming in.

Sep 13, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 5
Wait until those headphones come in, before making any more decisions. See what those headphones do what well or bad, then see if you need another pair of headphones. It's a good idea to do that, then to perhaps spend unnecessarily.

From where you stand, the HD25 and SRH840 are very good headphones, and should satisfy the list of music you listen to.

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #3 of 5
Yeah, probably the smartest thing to do at this point. I am just an impatient jerk
smily_headphones1.gif

From what I understand (and part of the reason I bought them) was that these phones in particular don't need amping, but do you believe they will benefit significantly by adding a cheapish amp?

Thanks.

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #4 of 5
I agree--definitely wait for the headphones you've already ordered to arrive, then see what, if anything, they're missing that you want. Then, you will be able to ask questions that focus on more specific areas and weaknesses that you hope to improve upon with your next set, which will get you more helpful, relevant answers.

The HD 25 and SRH840 have good reputations around here. If you're looking for semi-closed, there are the K 240 and the beyerdynamic DT 880, off the top of my head. The 240 does not need an amp, but depending on which version of the 880 you want (and FWIR, there are differences) with regard to impedance and PRO/Consumer, an amp might be necessary.

Sep 13, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #5 of 5
What version of the K240? I see a pair of recabled Sextett LP's in the FS forum for $110. I also see a new pair of K240S's on Amazon for $100.

Prices are just right for my audition range (got the HD25-1's for $105, SRH840's for $130) and it looks like I could probably sell the ones I don't like for decently close to my paid prices.

I appreciate the help guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back