Looking for great EDM cans with detail and soundstage for $500
Jun 12, 2012 at 8:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

swoody

New Head-Fier
I have done a lot of searching here on HF, and the internet in general, but most of the results seem to tailor to a more basshead listener. The tracks I enjoy most are the ones that give you great detail, instrument separation, and depth through soundstaging. My listening is split pretty evenly between EDM style music and acoustic / indie. However, as my IEM's are rather detailed and analytical, I'm leaning towards cans which are a bit more EDM oriented, but which won't sound horrible with other genres. Most folks seem to want an earth pounding thump for EDC, but I'm looking for something with clean, tight bass, and just as important to me is the detail and soundstaging I mentioned previously. I want a set of phones which will bring out all the sublties and nuances to the music while providing overall solid levels across all frequencies. Since these will be geared more towards EDM, I don't mind a low-end bump, but again I don't want something which will bloat or take away from the mids or highs at all.

My budget is $500 for the headphones. I am planning on buying an E17 in the near future, but if anyone has a better combo suggestion for under $700 total, I would be all ears.

Thank you all for the input!

- Woody

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 17
Thanks for the quick reply, WiR3D. Have you been able to audition all of these models, or are you basing this on the reviews of others?

Anyone have other suggestions which would fit the OP?

Jun 13, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #4 of 17
After doing quite a bit more reading around here, I think I agree with your choice WiR3D. I have heard a lot of great feedback about the D5000's, especially when comparing to the other popular EDM headphones. They also appear to be a great all-around headphone for other genres. They sound like a great match for what I'm looking for. I will probably wind up pulling the trigger on these within the next few days and give them a listen before buying the E17 as well.

If anyone still has recommendations on other mobile usb amp /dac's for the D5000, I would be open to suggestions. Looking to keep cost under $200.

Thanks!

Jun 13, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #5 of 17
Sounds like you need to audition HE-400 if you don't mind open phones. You only now mentioned "mobile", but if that's not a stirct requirement, look at ODAC+O2 combo for the most bang for the buck. You can get all this for under $700.

Jun 13, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:
Sounds like you need to audition HE-400 if you don't mind open phones. You only now mentioned "mobile", but if that's not a stirct requirement, look at ODAC+O2 combo for the most bang for the buck. You can get all this for under $700.

My initial intention with the E17 was to use it with my current GR07's and whatever cans I pickup now. These IEMs don't really need an amp, but the portable USB amp / dac would be a nice touch to use with my laptop, phone, or my computer at work. For right now, I'm more concerned about getting a matching device to pair up with this new set of cans, and if I can use it while on the go, that would be an added benefit. Is there something similar to the ODAC+O2 concept, but would provide portability as well?

Jun 13, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #7 of 17
I'm a bit of a Denon man, the D5000 is the only one I haven't owned, but I like to think I know a fair amount the entire range. The d5000 has the most bass, but still not too much, especially if you like EDM in general. 

You will enjoy it. The Fiio will be good for it. But it will scale better when you get better equipment. My modified STX + impedance adapter is big step up. 

Just bare in mind when you want to upgrade dac/amp for it at a later stage, that it MUST have low output impedance, <2ohms is recommended and thats why solid state is recommended. 

The Denons have a strong natural sound so it does not vary much, what does vary is the amount of detail (defined by the DACs SNR and the clarity of the amp) and the output impedance which will mess up your bass response and lastly if the amp can drive enough current. These thing love lots current.

But for now, you will be fine with the E17 :)

Jun 13, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:
Sounds like you need to audition HE-400 if you don't mind open phones.

Also, for the open vs closed debate, I do have some concerns either way. Now that the weather is nice, and the windows are open more often, I have to put up with birds, neighbors (apartment complex), and the loud fans from my two AC units. These issues, the rave reviews of the D5000, and it's seemingly suitability for me is what is steering me in that direction.

However, I do also have a pair of Sennheiser HD-201 cans which are closed, and they can get uncomfortable to wear for me. Between the pleather pads and the closed cups they don't breathe, so the heat and sweat can start building up during longer listening sessions or while watching movies on my laptop. My ideal setup would be a set of open cans with nice, soft, velvet pads. For this reason, I had given serious consideration to the DT880 and the HD650 - they just look like the headphone equivalent of wearing pajamas 
beyersmile.png

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:
I'm a bit of a Denon man, the D5000 is the only one I haven't owned, but I like to think I know a fair amount the entire range. The d5000 has the most bass, but still not too much, especially if you like EDM in general. 

You will enjoy it. The Fiio will be good for it. But it will scale better when you get better equipment. My modified STX + impedance adapter is big step up. 

Just bare in mind when you want to upgrade dac/amp for it at a later stage, that it MUST have low output impedance, <2ohms is recommended and thats why solid state is recommended. 

The Denons have a strong natural sound so it does not vary much, what does vary is the amount of detail (defined by the DACs SNR and the clarity of the amp) and the output impedance which will mess up your bass response and lastly if the amp can drive enough current. These thing love lots current.

But for now, you will be fine with the E17 :)

The impact of the dac / amp I buy will have much more beneficial impact on these Denon's than the IEM's I might use them on. I see in another Denon-related post you had a list of dac / amps that you had listed, with the Leckerton UHA-6S being one of the better ones. Would buying one of these used for roughly the same price as the E17 be a better match for the D5000's? Outside of that, if one were looking at both portable and desktop dac / amp setups, which one would be best for the D5000? I would consider spending up to $300 as that would still keep me within the $700 total price point.

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:
The impact of the dac / amp I buy will have much more beneficial impact on these Denon's than the IEM's I might use them on. I see in another Denon-related post you had a list of dac / amps that you had listed, with the Leckerton UHA-6S being one of the better ones. Would buying one of these used for roughly the same price as the E17 be a better match for the D5000's? Outside of that, if one were looking at both portable and desktop dac / amp setups, which one would be best for the D5000? I would consider spending up to $300 as that would still keep me within the $700 total price point.

That is correct in one of my earlier posts I did put together a list. But I decided against the Leckerton for 2 reasons, firstly a desktop amp of equivalent price to a portable will outperform the portable. And secondly a the leckerton UHA-4 has a 10 ohm output impedance, so I gathered the UHA-6 would be similar so I scrapped it. and just decided to save for the Yulong.

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #12 of 17
Thanks for the updated info. The Yulong D100? They do look nice, but might be a bit outside of the budget right now. Do you have any suggestions of a setup to look into (portable or desktop) under $300 for the D5000?

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:
Thanks for the updated info. The Yulong D100? They do look nice, but might be a bit outside of the budget right now. Do you have any suggestions of a setup to look into (portable or desktop) under $300 for the D5000?

well what inputs do you need? 

Jun 13, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:
USB and 3.5mm is all I really need. Anything else is just added bonuses for future upgrades or expansion.

Edit: 1/4" output would be great, obviously.

here are a few to consider. I cannot recommend anything officially

• Zero DAC/amp
  • Fiio E17
  • AudioGD NFB12.1
  • AudioGD NFB-5
  • Matrix M-stage (Has too much output impedance, but people don't seem to care, it will floppy the bass a bit)
  • Yulong U-100

Your gonna have to do your own homework. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back