Looking for great bass presence, smooth mids, and outstanding treble, <$200
Jul 29, 2013 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Nightmareish

New Head-Fier
Hi there. I truly appreciate any and all input from the more experienced users here.

Let me give you a little background. I don't have diverse experience when it comes to headphones. But, I do have an ear for quality and refinement. I can hear fine differences between sources to a degree... it's not a trained skill yet, but I'm getting better at it.

Here's what I've owned in the past... the notable ones at least:
-Audio Technica ATH-d40fs
-Vsonic GR06
-Corsair Vengeance 2000 (bought expressly for portability, comfort, and good sound... for gaming)

Of the 3, I actually found the Corsair to offer the best soundstage, but that's probably because I haven't really owned headphones that offer much of one. I like how the Corsair has punchy yet smooth bass as well. The GR06 easily has the best low-high mid range, which brought out many aspects of tracks I hadn't heard before. That was definitely a worthwhile buy. And the d40fs, I'd say, is the most 'flat' of the bunch, though that's why I bought it in the first place.

Now, I'm looking to buy headphones (not IEM) that offer a mix of all the traits I've found notable in the 3 low-end sets I own. Something that has:
  • Moderate portability
  • Great comfort (the Corsair is phenomenally comfortable)
  • A good sound atmosphere, but one that isn't forced as much as the Corsair is (the 7.1 business is hogwash)
  • Refined and standout bass
  • Good mids that aren't drowned out
  • Lots of treble, but isn't fatiguing (I like lots of treble)
  • Quality build that will last me a LONG TIME (the V-MODA M80 really caught my attention in my research thus far)
  • Preferably under $200, but can be up to $250

Any suggestions? So far I've caught interest in the ATH-M50, V-MODA M80, and Phillips CitiScape Uptown. But there are so many to look at... my eyes are fatigued from reading so many reviews T_T

Jul 29, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #3 of 9
Many thanks for the suggestions! So far, of that list, I've narrowed it down to the A900X. Would you recommend amplification? I'm mostly going to be running it through a creative x-fi titanium.

Jul 29, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
Many thanks for the suggestions! So far, of that list, I've narrowed it down to the A900X. Would you recommend amplification? I'm mostly going to be running it through a Creative X-Fi Titanium.

The Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium (non-HD?) can easily drive the A900X headphones.
But getting a Schiit Magni headphone amplifier ($99) with it's less then 1-Ohm impedance, might help a little in bringing out the details for music.
I would assume with gaming your too buzy to notice every little detail.

Now I really can't be sure how much the audio quality will change when adding the Magni,
as the ATH-A900X usually sounds good plugged into anything.

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #7 of 9
So I've gotten myself a pair of A900X's. Right off the bat, I realize they slip off my head like no tomorrow. Boo. What should I do? Any suggestions?

EDIT: Tried a rubber band. It's alright now.

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
So I've gotten myself a pair of A900X's. Right off the bat, I realize they slip off my head like no tomorrow. Boo. What should I do? Any suggestions?

EDIT: Tried a rubber band. It's alright now.

Leave the wings tied down towards the cups, over night (or two).
It should change the "memory" (Streach out the spring), in the wings, so they hold the cups up better.

Aug 7, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #9 of 9
There's also a big gap on the bottom of the left earpad under my left ear where ambient sound pours in. Only when I force it against my head does it feel fully isolative. These cans don't fit on my head well at ALL.

I also think my drivers are mismatched. Center feels like left-center a bit, and flipping the headphones makes center feel like right-center. And I can't seem to get the balance right even when I manually try to adjust it.

Maybe I should return these and do some more shopping around, unless you have any other suggestions.
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back