Looking for good, un-amped, closed, incredibly comforatable work headphone
Apr 2, 2004 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

tjmaxwell

New Head-Fier
Specifically, I'm looking for something closed that will plug directly into my laptop at work. Comfort is of absolute utmost importance since these will be worn many hours. I would really like something that surrounds the ear completely, but doesn't touch the ears themselves (similar to Bose offerings comfort-wise). Does such a thing exist and still sound good? My budget is around $200 though significantly less would be preferable. The Beyer DT250-80s seem like a good choice, but based on the pictures, the cups don't look very large so ears will undoubtedly scrunch against the speakers. I am willing to sacrifice some sound quality for comfort (and have actually considered buying the Bose Triports on comfort alone). I thought I'd come here for one final round of suggestions. I've also tried Audio Technica A900s and didn't find them comfortable. Suggestions?
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2004 at 6:55 PM Post #2 of 2
You might want to check out the Beyer-Dynamic 770 Pros 80 Version . (Needless to say they're easier to drive than the 250 version and can be done so without an amp. Using an amp will give better results, of course.)

I own the 250/80s and the 770s are much larger and to a certain degree more comfortable. (More padding on the earcups, the earcups don't touch the ears.) They are heavier than the 250s, however, but to me the sound quality is substantially better than the 250s.

I don't know how they compare to the ATH-900s since I've never tried those. (People on this forum, as you probably know, rate the ATH-900s as being very comfortable.)

If you have a Guitar Center in your area, your best bet would be to go there and check them out before purchasing. Guitar Center sells them for $199.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back