Looking for good sub 300 multi-role headphones
Jun 7, 2014 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Dashrendar2507

New Head-Fier
Hey folks,

I'm new here, my name is Dash. I'm doing studies in multimedia here in Canada and I've been looking for some great cans. I'd like them to be fairly portable, good isolation if possible, solid, really really great sounding with good but not overwhelming bass and stable mids and highs. They'll be for video editing, music listen mostly and gaming. No mic needed.

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks!

Jun 7, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 21
Howdy Dash! Welcome to Head-Fi, the motto here is "sorry about your wallet!"

What kind of budget did you have in mind?

Jun 7, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 21
I see you probably need closed rather than open cans, so...

At the top of your price bracket, there's the HP50 from NAD, very well loved... Close to neutral and rich sounding. AKG's K550 might be a bit too thin for you, but they have a pretty analytical sound. For cheaper, there's the Brainwavz HM5 or other clones, Soundmagic HP100, and maybe some options from Shure. That's a very popular price point, so there's lots of options.

I'd search around for some comparison threads. I've tried only the HP50's from that group, and I have recommended them to a few friends... Maybe somebody else can chime in who knows more closed options.

Good luck, feel free to ask more questions. I hope I answered more than I created!

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 21
I see you probably need closed rather than open cans, so...

At the top of your price bracket, there's the HP50 from NAD, very well loved... Close to neutral and rich sounding. AKG's K550 might be a bit too thin for you, but they have a pretty analytical sound. For cheaper, there's the Brainwavz HM5 or other clones, Soundmagic HP100, and maybe some options from Shure. That's a very popular price point, so there's lots of options.

I'd search around for some comparison threads. I've tried only the HP50's from that group, and I have recommended them to a few friends... Maybe somebody else can chime in who knows more closed options.

Good luck, feel free to ask more questions. I hope I answered more than I created!

+1 on the HP50's

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #7 of 21
Hi,

You should consider:

Sennheiser Momentum
SoundMagic Hp100
Focal Spirit Professional ($349)

Best Luck!

Jun 8, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #8 of 21
The MDRV6 and 7506 have been an industry standard for TV & radio audio monitoring for 2-3 decades.   I think the Senn HD25 in its various incarnations has also achieved similar status.  These cans will meet most of your criteria... and its likely your peers and the studios you will be working in will have already seen their share of these cans in service.  So you won't have to worry about impedances, amp matching and the likes.  The K240s 55 ohm model is also worth your attention.  Its not a fully closed earcup like the others though, its considered to be semi-open.  But IMHO its the best sounding headphone of the ones I mentioned, with the best soudnstage image, and sonically I think it meets your criteria too.  It still sees regular duty in my lineup, and there are times I prefer it over my more $$$ headphones.  Its not really portable though.

I think you should definitely shy away from headphones with really high or really low impedances.  You could run into gain/level matching and noise level issues. 

Jun 8, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #10 of 21
What about the Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear?

Quote:
  Hi,

You should consider:

Sennheiser Momentum
SoundMagic Hp100
Focal Spirit Professional ($349)

Best Luck!

You can read a lot of good things about them here:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-momentum

Jun 8, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #11 of 21
Thanks M x3!

So I might sound dumb but are the Audio Technica ATH-M50s relatively comparable to the Momentum? Because I've heard great things about the ATH and I think I would be more comfortable paying an average of 200$. To be honest, I don't think I'm ready to spend 300$ unless they are really really great and fit my needs perfectly.

So bottom line, are the Audio Technica ATH-M50s comparable to the Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear and if so how?

Thank you guys! I'm just looking for a great buy

ALSO : consider that I will not be plugging those in any fancy audio card and such. Mainly just pure Laptop and Smartphone usage.

Jun 8, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #12 of 21
I left out Momentums on purpose, because not only do I think there are better options in the price bracket, but I assumed he needed something more neutral as well. I shouldn't filter though, that's the OP's job. Check them out, Sennheiser knows what they're doing.

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #13 of 21
Thanks M x3!

So I might sound dumb but are the Audio Technica ATH-M50s relatively comparable to the Momentum? Because I've heard great things about the ATH and I think I would be more comfortable paying an average of 200$. To be honest, I don't think I'm ready to spend 300$ unless they are really really great and fit my needs perfectly.

So bottom line, are the Audio Technica ATH-M50s comparable to the Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear and if so how?

Thank you guys! I'm just looking for a great buy

ALSO : consider that I will not be plugging those in any fancy audio card and such. Mainly just pure Laptop and Smartphone usage.

Momentums should be more neutral in comparison with M50s. I think SoundMagic HP100's are probably your best bet at 200.

You can read about them here:
http://noblehifi.blogspot.com.ar/2012/10/soundmagic-hp100-review.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back