Looking for good headphones with great bass for dubstep music under $60
Oct 14, 2012 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 98

Shadowruse

Head-Fier
Ok so I know $60 isn't a lot of money to go around buying headphones, but it's all I'm willing to spend. I want headphone will good deep bass, like thundering deep bass. I want them to be comfortable and like kinda stylish (not a biggie, but I don't want big *** cans my ears if you know what I meen). i mainly listen to dubstep and techno. (not the kind that destorys your headphones but they still have alot of bass. alright so I've already rolled out skull candy and beats. I'm looking at eather Sony, sennheiser or AT. I found 3 headphones on amazon and I'm wondering if these are any good and if there is one that has a litle more bass than the others
AT
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00007E7C8/ref=aw_cr_d_musical-instruments?qid=1350054559&sr=1-1
These look all around good to me, they got great reviews and are a very good seller on amazon.

Sony
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001RB24S2/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1350054998&sr=8-4
The Sony's got a lot of good reviews and look very comfortable, but I did get some advice from an audiophile who said he auditioned them and said they were total rubbish. So I'm kinda confused here. I did some research and to be honest these got a lot of good reviews from a bunch of different places. I heard the bass was unbeatable but the mids and highs were not so good.

Pioneer

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007ZT4APU/ref=aw_cr_d_electronics?qid=1350059543&sr=8-1
The same audiophile that told me the Sony's were rubbish suggested the pioneers. There a litle more than I want to pay but not by much.

Panasonic RP-HTF600-S
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004MMEI8W

I did some research and found out that the panasonics where cheaper and had better mids and highs but still can't compete with the thumbing bass of the Sony XB500s

I'm not an audiophile but I do have respect for good sound quality and to be honest i am learning toward the sony XB500s sense i love bass and all i listen to is dubstep and some rap. I'm open to your opinions. NOTE: I do not plan on going out and buying an amp. I just want to use these headphones to listen to music on my iPod touch.

Thanks

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #3 of 98
As the Sony XB500s are only 24-Ohm, it makes them every easy to drive.
and as the iPod Touch has a headphone output with a very low impedance, it should be good at driving 24-Ohm headphones.

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #5 of 98
Tried the XB500s at the Sony store with my own source. They aren't rubbish, though a tad coloured. I can imagine these working with dubstep and techno.

Just curious, but what headphones does your "audiophile" friend own?

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #6 of 98
Quote:
Are you saying that if I got one of the other headphones, the iPod touch couldn't power it?

No, not at all, I was only referring to the XB500, I was not trying to comment either way on the other headphones.
Apple products usually come with decent audio support, so there should be no problem with the iPod working with the other headphones listed.

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #8 of 98
From the options you listed, taking in account your preferences and your specified budget, it's a no brainer that the XB500 are the way to go. They aren't a balanced set, the HTF-600S would be better in that regard, but for bass and bass alone the XB500 top all the alternatives you listed.

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #9 of 98
So has anyone tryed the Panasonic headphones I linked up above? Also if a headphone has a 20hz to 20000hz frequency responce and then another one like the xb500 has a even bigger frequency responce. Will I be able to tell the difference?

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #10 of 98
Quote:
So has anyone tryed the Panasonic headphones I linked up above? Also if a headphone has a 20hz to 20000hz frequency responce and then another one like the xb500 has a even bigger frequency responce. Will I be able to tell the difference?

I believe above 20,000hz, your starting to get out of the hearing range of the average person.
I do own the HTF600-S, good sound for the price. And for $25 you can add the Beyer EDT200/250 V Velour ear pads to the HTF600-S.
The HTF600-S are not very rugged, but should be ok if your decently careful.

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #11 of 98
Quote:

I wouldn't bother worrying about the listed frequency response for headphone its amongst the most useless specs and tells you nothing about a headphone.

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #13 of 98
Also I have a panasonic htf600 and its quite nice sounding and decent all rounder after eqing for all genres of music + games and movies.  but considering your primary music genres and the type of bass your saying you want you will likely be left wanting.  At flat eq its not going to provide the "thundering bass" response you desire its extends well but not super low and the bass level isn't boosted enough to really rumble at stock even with bass heavy dubstep.  Using my sound cards eq and boosting 31hz by 12b and 62hz by 9db I can get some nice satsifying rumble out of them.  But for what you want and for use out of an itouch the XB500 will be better the bet you can more easily eq them for more mids and highs and the bass should be more then enough already.

Oct 14, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #14 of 98
You honestly cannot beat the price and performance that the XB500 delivers.  There's so much bass in those cans and if you want your brain to rattle then you gotta go with these.  They're perfect for the genres that you listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back