Looking for ( found )"end game" headphones in 2K ± price range.
Apr 18, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #1,321 of 1,473
Guys, sadly I am forced to sell my beloved ADX5000s. In short, I need cash at the moment ... So I share my classified here, and if anyone may be interested, do not hesitate to send me Pm, surely we can reach an agreement.

Greetings to all. I hope that you are well.

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/adx5000-audio-technica.2887/

Apr 18, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #1,322 of 1,473
Good luck with the sale and hopefully they will find a good home.

Apr 18, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #1,323 of 1,473
Guys, sadly I am forced to sell my beloved ADX5000s. In short, I need cash at the moment ... So I share my classified here, and if anyone may be interested, do not hesitate to send me Pm, surely we can reach an agreement.

Greetings to all. I hope that you are well.

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/adx5000-audio-technica.2887/
If I wouldn't have the HD 800, I will go for them. GLWyS
BTW There’s not a lot of enthusiasm around those Sony’s Z1R. Are they still in production?
Reviews from magazines don’t tell me much. It’s just a generalized mambo jambo
No enthusiasm? For me is totally the opposite... Every review (except Tyll and a few others) I watch in Youtube love so far the Sony Z1R. Here, in it's thread (althought, you know, happens in all threads) there are a lot of Z1R fans. Even people that prefer them more than costier headphones. I always remember a guy "dmdm", now he changed his name here, that fell in love with the Z1R and decided to sell all his TOTL headphones (for example, the LCD4) and he only kept the Empyreans, the Abyss TC 1266 and, obviously, Z1R. He is always saying that he prefers Z1R to all his other headphones, like here. (the next post is from our friend @ScornDefeat and his ranking :relaxed: ).

I think that they are still in production, but not in a good quantity. The people at Z1R thread said that maybe a new Z1R revision would be announced soon, but I don't know if were only rumors... It's difficult to me to find a pair in Europe. I think @bythebookiii purchased his Z1R from amazon.com or amazon mexico.

Apr 18, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #1,324 of 1,473
If I wouldn't have the HD 800, I will go for them. GLWyS

No enthusiasm? For me is totally the opposite... Every review (except Tyll and a few others) I watch in Youtube love so far the Sony Z1R. Here, in it's thread (althought, you know, happens in all threads) there are a lot of Z1R fans. Even people that prefer them more than costier headphones. I always remember a guy "dmdm", now he changed his name here, that fell in love with the Z1R and decided to sell all his TOTL headphones (for example, the LCD4) and he only kept the Empyreans, the Abyss TC 1266 and, obviously, Z1R. He is always saying that he prefers Z1R to all his other headphones, like here. (the next post is from our friend @ScornDefeat and his ranking :relaxed: ).

I think that they are still in production, but not in a good quantity. The people at Z1R thread said that maybe a new Z1R revision would be announced soon, but I don't know if were only rumors... It's difficult to me to find a pair in Europe. I think @bythebookiii purchased his Z1R from amazon.com or amazon mexico.
Honestly, I wasn’t looking hard enough. And since non of my audiophile buddies ever mentioned them I figured they were sort of rarity among hobbyists. I guess not. Lol
Priced reasonable in respect to other TOTL closed backs. Under 400g and comfortable is a definite plus. I’ll be visiting “46” this week and I’ll ask if they have them as demo.

PS
I thought @ScornDefeat woukd rank VC higher....

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #1,325 of 1,473
Some call them "marmite" headphones. You love or you hate them. Beside comfort (I have Z7s and I know Z1Rs will also be comfortable) or soundstage aspects, I'm really interested in the incredible bass some people herald.

Apr 18, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #1,326 of 1,473
Some call them "marmite" headphones. You love or you hate them. Beside comfort (I have Z7s and I know Z1Rs will also be comfortable) or soundstage aspects, I'm really interested in the incredible bass some people herald.
I didn’t dive in deep into it but yes, bass response seems like one thing that everyone agrees with. What is the general census on soundstage? I really can’t relate to headphones with small, closed in soundstage. Probably why Focal as a brand, never captivate my curiosity.

Listening to (on ADX5K/LCDX)
F3469E7F-1AF5-4511-B679-229B98BC35B7.jpeg

Draw
9CAFDF8B-2282-406C-A84B-3A7B6934F573.jpeg

ADX
DDF3FA1B-2A4E-41F5-A226-519D51E21D04.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #1,327 of 1,473
Today I was thinking about Phonitor. I wanted to go to the X version because of it's DAC option (althought I have read you saying is an average DAC). Compared to the Phonitor 2, the X version has some cosmetic features (like the red dot in the volume pot and different controls), but I don't know if there will be more differences, aside from different dip switch options, different position for controls or just one input source instead of three (in the Phonitor 2)...

So, the "X" version retails in Thomann at 2500 €, and the "2" version at 1500 €. I think that will be more inteligent for me to buy the latter and a separated around 1000 € DAC. What do you think? For the same price of the hypotetic upcoming Volot -around 2500 € and will be just an amp- (that I might purchase in the future as an upgrade) I will have a mid-tier DAC (like, for example, Denafrips Pontus 2) and a top headphone AMP.

I have also looked at Violectric offering, but it's costier, the DAC is a two dual mono AK4990 implementation.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #1,328 of 1,473
Today I was thinking about Phonitor. I wanted to go to the X version because of it's DAC option (althought I have read you saying is an average DAC). Compared to the Phonitor 2, the X version has some cosmetic features (like the red dot in the volume pot and different controls), but I don't know if there will be more differences, aside from different dip switch options, different position for controls or just one input source instead of three (in the Phonitor 2)...

So, the "X" version retails in Thomann at 2500 €, and the "2" version at 1500 €. I think that will be more inteligent for me to buy the latter and a separated around 1000 € DAC. What do you think? For the same price of the hypotetic upcoming Volot -around 2500 € and will be just an amp- (that I might purchase in the future as an upgrade) I will have a mid-tier DAC (like, for example, Denafrips Pontus 2) and a top headphone AMP.

I have also looked at Violectric offering, but it's costier, the DAC is a two dual mono AK4990 implementation.
DAC in SPL amps is reported as average at best. Some implied that Schiit’s entry level DAC might outperform SPL add on DAC. So, not very reassuring now is it?
Personally, I would go with separates. Denafrips makes good DACs. If I didn’t own my current DAC, Denafrips would be on my list for sure.
Which SPL or Violelectric would depend on your budget and features you’re looking for. I think both represent quality and performance that would satisfy most of us. Unless you have some power hungry monster in your headphone stable. Then you should probably look elsewhere.

Apr 20, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #1,329 of 1,473
How does ADX5000 work with OTL amplifiers ? I'm looking to upgrade my headphones, but not very keen to look for an amplifier a well. I'm a bit worried that sound can be too aggressive and grainy.

Apr 20, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #1,330 of 1,473
How does ADX5000 work with OTL amplifiers ? I'm looking to upgrade my headphones, but not very keen to look for an amplifier a well. I'm a bit worried that sound can be too aggressive and grainy.
Your concerns are valid. ADX5Ks do have a bite in upper treble frequencies. Making them sound more on the bright side. There’s huge amount of air which is partially result of that tuning. Which is nice. But you don’t want to pair ADX5K with amp that would reinforce and amplify those frequencies and farther exacerbates the problem. They are a little finicky when it comes to amp pairing.

What amp do you have?
What are you looking for in new cans?

Apr 20, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #1,331 of 1,473
Your concerns are valid. ADX5Ks do have a bite in upper treble frequencies. Making them sound more on the bright side. There’s huge amount of air which is partially result of that tuning. Which is nice. But you don’t want to pair ADX5K with amp that would reinforce and amplify those frequencies and farther exacerbates the problem. They are a little finicky when it comes to amp pairing.

What amp do you have?
What are you looking for in new cans?

My amplifier( Feliks Echo) has relaxed sound signature, I wouldn’t say that highs are scooped off, but it gives warmer presentation. I’m treble sensitive though I love the details. grainy and shouty treble can give me headaches.

For the headphone I do enjoy good imaging when they are large and easy to be placed around your head. Quality subbass/not claustrophobic soundstage. The other option that has my interest is focal utopia, I had the clears and was impressed by it’s technical side of things, just had some issue with peaks in treble.

Apr 20, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #1,332 of 1,473
My amplifier( Feliks Echo) has relaxed sound signature, I wouldn’t say that highs are scooped off, but it gives warmer presentation. I’m treble sensitive though I love the details. grainy and shouty treble can give me headaches.

For the headphone I do enjoy good imaging when they are large and easy to be placed around your head. Quality subbass/not claustrophobic soundstage. The other option that has my interest is focal utopia, I had the clears and was impressed by it’s technical side of things, just had some issue with peaks in treble.
If you’re treble sensitive I would advised caution. Imo ADX will work with various tube amps. And IMO, that’s the way to go. You could ask @OctavianH about his experience with Feliks/ADX combo. I think he probably sold both by now but still. He is also treble sensitive so he might be a better man to ask this question.

Apr 20, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #1,334 of 1,473
I still have my Elise, I sold only the ADX5000. So if I can help, ask me @hakunamakaka

Thanks guys, @OctavianH what was the reason why you got rid of ADX5000 ? How was the synergy with elise ? My main concern is fatigue which could be caused by adx

Apr 20, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #1,335 of 1,473
The synergy was good, but it depends on the musical genre and personal preference. Even if the headphones were great in terms of technicality, for me they were too neutral. Maybe for classical or jazz these were good, but in my case, for rock music, I wanted a warmer presentation. They sounded best with some full copper cable I bought from Forza Audioworks (Noir HPC if I remember correctly). The cable for ADX5000 was not in offer but I wrote them and they made it for me with the proprietary Audio Technica connectors. The headphones sounded lively, fast, big soundstage. That sensation you get at a live concert in the 3rd row. But as I said, for rock music, I wanted more bass and a little bit warmer presentation. So I sold them, because I was listening mostly to Verite Open or T1.2, and I needed to fund another project. I am not sure about fatigue, I have not listened to them in long sessions while owning them. I think you can try them with a tube amp, copper cable and if you like jazz or classical they might be for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back