Looking for ( found )"end game" headphones in 2K ± price range.
Sep 4, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #16 of 1,473
I get it. It’s hard to know what one likes or perceive as correct and musical. To criteria that I have already stated, I would add that I’m not looking for perfection since there’s no such thing. But headphone that are sophisticated technicality and don’t need to depend on EQ to get the most out of them. I also am not obsessed with perfect linearity. Hence my choice for amplification. Which I really enjoy. But you’re right, it’s complicated. That’s why I seek some opinions from fellow audiophiles. Hopefully it will narrow my list to 2-3 headphones which I’ll try to audition and compare. 👍

Exactly my friend, but if you agree with the sound that is all that matters as long as it sounds good with the mental burn in.

Anyways i will leave it with the people who have heard high end or ultra high end.

The best i have heard is the denon d7200 which has dry sound and a lively sound.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #17 of 1,473
If your system works ok with hd700 it should work with ok HD800S. The original HD800 was peaky, not so much HD800S. However HD800S is still revealing so it will sound garbage in > garbage out. HD800S + tube is an amazing combo I doubt you will be able to exceed less than $4000 if soundstage is priority.
Yes, I’ll be using “quality” tube amp and it’s one of the criteria that new headphones have to meet. As you know tubes can be used as tone control and getting reviling headphone that respond well to tube rolling is a plus.
One last question. How power demanding are HD800s headphones? My amp puts out 1.7 watts into 40 ohms load.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #18 of 1,473
Exactly my friend, but if you agree with the sound that is all that matters as long as it sounds good with the mental burn in.

Anyways i will leave it with the people who have heard high end or ultra high end.

The best i have heard is the denon d7200 which has dry sound and a lively sound.
I enjoy all my headphones. From Koss KPH30i to Audeze. This time, I’m looking specifically for headphones with reasonable linearity. But also, these headphones need to be synergistic with my tube amplifier. Of cause they better sound dame good as well. :beerchug:

Sep 4, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #19 of 1,473
For your tastes my recommendations would be Hifiman Arya or HD800S.
Second vote for HD800s. Between Arya and HD800s, which one has better soundstage? And what Arya does better then HD800s?

Sep 4, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #20 of 1,473
Second vote for HD800s. Between Arya and HD800s, which one has better soundstage? And what Arya does better then HD800s?

HD800S has better lateral soundstage imo, but Arya has better depth, great for classical. HD800S beats the Arya on detail, but the Arya has an arguably better overall presentation.

Sep 4, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #21 of 1,473
Yes, I’ll be using “quality” tube amp and it’s one of the criteria that new headphones have to meet. As you know tubes can be used as tone control and getting reviling headphone that respond well to tube rolling is a plus.
One last question. How power demanding are HD800s headphones? My amp puts out 1.7 watts into 40 ohms load.

HD800S is not super demanding but it is 300ohm and more power = more LF slam. Less power equals less LF slam.

You should be good to go with that power

Sep 4, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #22 of 1,473
I enjoy all my headphones. From Koss KPH30i to Audeze. This time, I’m looking specifically for headphones with reasonable linearity. But also, these headphones need to be synergistic with my tube amplifier. Of cause they better sound dame good as well. :beerchug:

Well, i recommend the d7200 or d9200 if you want to pay that much for d 9200 or not, why well the overall sound it is very likeable regarding the d 7200 i have and goes nice with my taste because of the sub bass response and the signature of it it is like a skirt extension, they have a realistic rumble slam and impact and the mids are reasonable which sound very nice and smooth highs.

I don't like the 50hz perfect or near perfect bass response, but i do actually like a balance between 50hz and 30hz, most headphones hit the 50hz but the denons nope, but when 50hz is called for it does its best to preserve 50hz which the denons do very well but the denons are more ordinate at 30hz best of both worlds of 30hz and 50hz and thus more fun for my taste regarding the d7200 i know and have.

Give the denon's a listen some day i think you will like them, because of the presentation to wow people who have not heard an expensive headphone as well as the realistic balance of the sub bass mids and highs they sound like a w sound signature where is maintans all three and sacrifices upper and lower mids to maintain the perfect mids as possible as in mid centric as well as bass and highs in the flattest sense so it maintains the balance as much as possible, but the highlight is the bass but nice mids and highs none the less as well as lively sound and dry sound which makes the sounds as punctual as how it should sound pfft sounds like pfft but most other headphones do not sound like that, pfft would sound as pssft, well i have tried over 10 headphones in 100-400 great british pounds and they do not give this type of sound which the denons give, the dry sound.

But pace rhytm and timing and the balance of it is cricital but the denons (7200) with the dry sound can sound a very little bit too fast but, very acceptable and a enjoyment to listen too and i prefer closed cans because of the bass impact.

I only would recommend the denons because for people like you who do not seek perfect sound anymore.

Dan.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #24 of 1,473
Sep 4, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #25 of 1,473
HD800S has better lateral soundstage imo, but Arya has better depth, great for classical. HD800S beats the Arya on detail, but the Arya has an arguably better overall presentation.

Hd800S can be extremely deep with the right tubes and nothing currently in production comes even close in width under 4 grand.

Not everyone cares about soundstage that much , but if you do the HD800S really is the obvious pick by a mile.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #26 of 1,473
Hd800S can be extremely deep with the right tubes and nothing currently in production comes even close in width under 4 grand.

Not everyone cares about soundstage that much , but if you do the HD800S really is the obvious pick by a mile.

All about the advantages of analogue sound, which gives a fuller sound as well as layers to the music this apply to tube amps in varying degrees.

Their are varying terms of this laid back sound signature, at a cost of a bit of distortion it can increase the sound quality this is what laid back means i think, it is very understood that digital systems abandoned analogue systems because of accurate of digital and having no distortion in the mix.

So with the cost of distortion giving better sound quality, you will have to have a design so you hear zero distortion with the distortion in it but reaping the benefits of better sound quality and the full-ness advantages of tube amps give can as well give layers of sound or not.

Dan.

Sep 4, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #27 of 1,473
HD800S
Ain't gonna get much more exceptional soundstage with high technicality than that. Also excels with tubes in the loop.

I second that. I've got a drawer full of high-quality headphones but consistently come back to the 800S, which I pair with a Bottlehead Crack-a-two-a, Bottlehead Mainline and Benchmark DAC3-DX. Nearly on the same par are the Focal Clear, though they don't possess the same ability to paint an expansive soundstage.

Joe.

Sep 4, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #28 of 1,473
SR-Lambda (1979) excellent mids and highs
It does piano (Daft Punk- Within) really well.
(Cry me a river Gene Harris & Ray Brown Trio) Best piano timbre and sparkle I’ve experienced. I almost cry sometimes because it’s too good.

Maybe HD800sdr or jmod if Heddphone is too heavy.

Focal Clear is good... timbre is a bit too metallic and might be a little peaky for me
though. Utopia is good, but it’s soundstage is a dealbreaker for me.

Susvara for the win :)
You called the Clear metallic and said the Utopia was good? Everyone else seems to be saying the opposite. It's the 6k peak on the Utopia that makes them sound metallic.

I'd recommend the HD800S based on the OP's criteria.
I preferred the HD800S to the Arya.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #29 of 1,473
You called the Clear metallic and said the Utopia was good? Everyone else seems to be saying the opposite. It's the 6k peak on the Utopia that makes them sound metallic.

I'd recommend the HD800S based on the OP's criteria.
I preferred the HD800S to the Arya.
It might have been the rig I listened with. Both are good choices but have a metallic quality imo. I think I actually like the Utopia more... I’d be less likely to purchase another headphone. With the Clear... It’s not endgame but more like entry into hifi. The more money I spend the more picky I become :)

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #30 of 1,473
You really think Susvara is that good? I have heard a lot of good things about it. It’s a bit over my budget but if a good deal comes alone, I could make that stretch. If it’s really that good.

PS I love my vintage Stax as well but I’m trying to go easy on usage as sourcing parts or service is almost non existent.

HADD seems like a very interesting option. It’s a little unconventional in many ways and I find it kinda appealing. 👍 The only thing that concerns me is the weight. 700g is a bit worrisome. I own LCDX and they’re not light by any means. It’s tolerable but I would prefer something lighter for longer listening sessions. A little over 500g is probably max as far as weight is concern.

I try not to hype headphones as much as possible, but the Susvara is my top pick. I get the feeling I won’t be satisfied if I purchased an Arya or something else in the $2k range.

You could bash it for not being having ultimate slam like lcd-4. Also, it might be too detailed... So if you listen to poor recordings you might not like it. Stage, vocals, imaging are fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back