Looking for flexible portable amp recommendation for IEM
Jul 2, 2015 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

skucie

New Head-Fier
I've been thinking I need a new portable amp, here are the details of my situation

Primary listening:
-iPhone 6 (Spotify HQ)

-FiiO E11 (link)
-- good sound overall, bass boost really helps
-- lacks a lot in detail and soundstage when compared to my home system (Monarchy NM24)

-Audio Technica ATH-CK100 IEM (Thread and specs here)
-- I really like these, no cable microphonics, good isolation, excellent comfort, and incredible detail
-- They sound a bit too forward at times and really benefit from a bass boost, software EQ isn't great.  sibilant with bright sources but I don't want to give up extension.

Occasional equipment:

-Shure SE530
-Beyer DT-990 (600 ohm)
-Grado RS2i/SR80
-AKG K141
-UE Triple.fi

Desired Features for a new amp:

-$200-250 ballpark, open to used.
-Built-in DAC would be great if it represents an improvement over the above system.  Not sure if that is possible in this price range.
-Compact size would be a plus, would like to be able to stick it in my pocket
-Must have bass boost, I don't see myself getting rid of the CK100s 
-Battery life >10 hours, replaceable battery a plus
-Would be great if it could drive the CK100s as well as the DT990s (for around the house)

At home I use the CK100s with My Monarchy NM24 DAC and a Little Dot Mk. ii (upgraded caps).  I am very happy with the sound, the difference between that and my portable setup is unbelievable.

Looking for suggestions, opinions welcome!

Thanks!

Jul 2, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 4
The Beyerdynamic A200p is iPhone compatible with a lightning adapter. Oppo HA-2, although a bit over your budget. Not sure if they meet your other requirements.

Aug 10, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #3 of 4
I'm liking the looks/specs of the V-Moda Vamp Verza.   They seem to be in my price range used.  I'm not sure about using it with an IEM, but it seems to be a versatile setup that offers high quality sound.  All opinions welcome.

cel4145 - The a200 looks like a solid choice and I'd love to get my hands on a DAC with the Sabre32 Reference ES9018-K2M, like the oppo.  If an HA-2 comes up used (long shot) I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger.  Thanks for the recommendations.

E

Users who are viewing this thread

Back