Looking for Flat Response
Sep 11, 2009 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

dragonxking

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I currently have the DT770-80's and though the lows/bass are quite strong, I find it lacking in the mid-high frequencies (clarity). I compose, mix, and listen to mainly hip hop, pop, and r&b music, but that doesn't mean I'm looking for overwhelming bass heavy cans.

I'd like a headphone with a flat frequency response, while maintaining clarity. I don't plan on using a headphone amp by the way (maybe that's why my current cans sound the way they do)

I'm not sure what my budget will be, but for now I'm going to say around $300.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advanced

Sep 11, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 17
The Sennheiser HD-600 might be what you're looking for. Read up on it - others use it to mix music, as well.

The HD-600 does need an amp. However, you can always pick up something like a used or vintage receiver on the cheap. You can also try the PreSonus HP4 which sells for about $100. If you bought a used HD-600 for around $200-$225, then you'd still come in on budget.

Sep 11, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sennheiser HD-600 might be what you're looking for. Read up on it - others use it to mix music, as well.

The HD-600 does need an amp. However, you can always pick up something like a used or vintage receiver on the cheap. You can also try the PreSonus HP4 which sells for about $100. If you bought a used HD-600 for around $200-$225, then you'd still come in on budget.

DT48/CD900ST/240DF/HD600

Sep 11, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT48/CD900ST/240DF/HD600

k240DF is very neutral and clear, but low end will be lacking for hip hop and R&B. Maybe same goes for DT48, but I've never heard them myself.

Sep 11, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, flat means boring basically...

No, it means your music in inherently boring if your bored while listening to flat headphones.
tongue.gif

Sep 11, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #9 of 17
Thanks for all the suggestions
The dt48 and CD900ST are the two cans that have peaked my interest being as they seem to be very neutral headphones with flat responses (especially the CD900ST as it is very popular in studios in japan). Would the dt48 and CD900ST require amps?

EQ'ing the headphones are out of the question, as I plan on using these headphones on multiple devices, some not capable of EQ.

again, thanks for all the responses

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, it means your music in inherently boring if your bored while listening to flat headphones.
tongue.gif

I've always been eyeing the K272HD...and every person who's tried it has told me that it was boring as hell. I'm starting to realize that some phones show you only the defects in your music(DT770/600Ω for instance) rendering mp3 totally unbearable, and some show you...the music itself(cd1k/cd3k)
ph34r.gif

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

yeah, flat means boring basically...he'd be better off trying that EQ tutorial to kill the sparkling DT770/Pro trebles IMHO.

Flat, as normally used here on the forum, means faithful reproduction of the source recording, due to a flat/accurate frequency response. If the source is not boring the headphone will not be boring. Like looking through a clear lens as opposed to a colored or cloudy one.

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonxking /img/forum/go_quote.gif

EQ'ing the headphones are out of the question, as I plan on using these headphones on multiple devices, some not capable of EQ.

with so many sources, how do you know they are "flat?"

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

I've always been eyeing the K272HD...and every person who's tried it has told me that it was boring as hell. I'm starting to realize that some phones show you only the defects in your music(DT770/600Ω for instance) rendering mp3 totally unbearable, and some show you...the music itself(cd1k/cd3k)
ph34r.gif

The DT770 is hardly flat . . . in fact that may be what's showing the defects or creating more issues for you if you use them with MP3.

I personally believe that you shouldn't use a headphone to fix the music or need a headphone for every music type myself. That's me though.
wink.gif

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #14 of 17
I recommend the K 271, especially the MK II, since it has two different pads which change the sound ever so slightly and comes with two detachable cables. The 272 is just a better-looking 271 with velour pads, a non-detachable cable, and a higher price tag.

To me, the 271 sounded very flat, accurate, and clear, with a very decent soundstage for a closed headphone. I enjoyed it with all types of music (e.g., Bach's Brandenburg Concertos, Green Day, The Be Good Tanyas, Ben Folds, Kanye West, etc.). FWIR, the only problem some people have is that the bass is on the lighter side and that it sounds boring. To me, its bass was just slightly less impactful than my SR60, but with greater extension. As for boring, really, it wasn't bad at all. Okay, maybe less "fun" than my SR60, but those headphones are also known to be some of the most "colored".

Overall, I think the 271 would complement your 770 very nicely.

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT770 is hardly flat . . . in fact that may be what's showing the defects or creating more issues for you if you use them with MP3.

I personally believe that you shouldn't use a headphone to fix the music or need a headphone for every music type myself. That's me though.
wink.gif

oh yes, the 770 is anything but flat...as V shaped as can be, but properly EQ'ed it's not boring.

the K272/271 are supposed to be very flat and very boring, but well all the ppl who tried them are wrong maybe: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/nee...272-hd-444492/

I find my cd1k(same drivers as cd3k) to work w/ any kind of music, I'd call it "magic" more than "boring"
biggrin.gif
...properly EQ'ed to kill my ear drums resonances(which would occur w/ any headphones anyway) that is..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back