Looking for entry IEM - value for money, tight budget
Feb 26, 2007 at 8:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Bigburger

100+ Head-Fier
Using the Sennheiser HD555 at home. Now looking for something portable with good SQ (iBuds have finally started to rattle a little after about 1.5 years). Looking for best value for money in the Shure E2C price range or below. What are some of the choices, which ones do you recommend? Will I get SQ on par with the HD555?

Feb 26, 2007 at 10:04 AM Post #5 of 37
iM616 on Amazon for $70. Or the ER-6i.

Feb 26, 2007 at 10:22 AM Post #6 of 37
westones um1 are cool for under 100 bucks. a little lean before you break them in. they are sweet after that.

Feb 26, 2007 at 10:31 AM Post #7 of 37
If you haven't been unhappy with bundled buds on the move for the last 18 months the marshmallows or EP-630's will be a revelation, and the partial isolation will really help if you travel anywhere noisy.

Simon

Feb 26, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #9 of 37
Shure E2C are normally available for $60 or less, shipped, new, on eBay. Good value for that price, not so sure at full retail.

Feb 27, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #11 of 37
Bigburger, what music do you listen to?

Feb 27, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #12 of 37
"Will I get SQ on par with the HD555?"

Probably not, at the price of the E2s and below. The general rule of thumb is that you'd have to spend twice as much for an in-ear (canal phone type or IEMs) as you would for headphones, to get comparable sound. That may be changing, so consider it just a general rule of thumb.

What you do get with canal phones and IEMs is exteme portability (and stealth, if you need it). In noisy environments, you won't have to play your music as loud, especially if you get IEMs -- you'll have the best hearing in the retirement home. And, compared to mere earbuds, canal phones and IEMs tend to stay in the ear, which reduces the aggravating fit/stability problems that can come with bundled earbuds.

The Creative EP 630s do have some cord microphonics, but I really like them for $30 or even less. They're similar in form to, and less expensive than, the Sennheiser branded canal phones, which also get good reviews. Note that the Sennheiser canal phones have the non-symmetrical cords, with the right earpiece's cord meant to drape around the back of the neck ... some people don't like that, and some people do.

If you really need isolation, I can recommend the Etymotics ER6i's (a pleasure to use on loud forms of transportation), but I wouldn't count on them reminding you of your HD555's. On the other hand, they will be very clear (unveiled) and detailed for the price, and with correct fit you will get bass ... but you will hear it rather than feel it. The Creative or Sennheiser canal phones will be "fuller" sounding, if that's what you're looking for.

If you stretch your budget a bit, there's the very fun (but not really isolating) V-Moda Vibes, and the isolating Westone UM1 IEMs.

Feb 27, 2007 at 8:26 AM Post #13 of 37
Ok, so what IEM's/canal phones would produce SQ on par to the HD555?

From the models mentioned (and within budget):
- Am I right in concluding that the e2c is mediocore for the price?
- What sort of isolation (if any) does the EP630 have?
- Is it worth paying the difference between EP630 and the ER6i?
- How does the JVC marshmallow compare to EP630 in terms of SQ and isolation?
- Bottom line - the models mentioned will all sound better than iBuds right?

Is there any other models that could be considered? I'm unsure as to what "type of sound" I like but I guess something similar to the HD555 if thats possible with low end IEM/canal phones.

Feb 27, 2007 at 8:53 AM Post #14 of 37
I wouldn't recommend e2c's. I prefered both the ep630 and marshmallows over them. The ep630's are above ibuds in isolation and sq. It will be quite a difference if you've never used canal/iems.

Now ep630 vs marshmallow, with stock tips I'd say ep630, but if you buy a pack of e2c foamies and put them on the marshmallows I found the marhsmallows to be better.

I've never tried er6, but because of etymotics reputation for detail I beleive the ep630 or marshmallows would be more bassy and sound more fun. So if you're looking for clarity maybe you should go up the line, but if you're fine with a fun sound ep630 or marshmallow will be fine. My speculative two cents.

Feb 27, 2007 at 10:26 AM Post #15 of 37
ep-630
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back