Looking for earphones with little to no bass, clear sound
Aug 21, 2012 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

ryuken3k

New Head-Fier
After reading through reviews of many earphones, it seems like a lot of them have a high bass level. Bass always gives me a headache after listening to it for a few minutes. I was wondering if there are high quality earphones with little to no bass, that produces clear, accurate sound?

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #2 of 25
Quote:
After reading through reviews of many earphones, it seems like a lot of them have a high bass level. Bass always gives me a headache after listening to it for a few minutes. I was wondering if there are high quality earphones with little to no bass, that produces clear, accurate sound?

Maybe this thread can help you out: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534084/bass-light-closed-headphones.

If whatever you purchase has too much bass for your tastes, you can always EQ it down.

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #4 of 25
Sounds like you're after some Etymotics 
wink.gif

Something like the HF-5 or ER-4 models would probably do the trick.

Aug 21, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:
If whatever you purchase has too much bass for your tastes, you can always EQ it down.

I agree with this, why not use the EQ? Trying that option first on your current headphones could save you a bit of cash. Unless... The player you are using doesn't have a good EQ. If it doesn't, see if you can Rockbox it, it makes quite a difference. And for various smartphones there are some decent EQ apps out there...

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #9 of 25
True to a point...

I would only add, that, If true music reproduction is what you are after...

Nothing, Absolutely NOTHING, Does it better than Etymotic ER-4 Series Studio Monitor Quality IEMs.

Cheers, Jim

I'll say this before Jim (AstroTurf) does.

ER-4!

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #13 of 25
yeah, i'm just pointing out my definition of clear, accurate sound also extends to the bass regions and it seems like a contradiction to be asking for little to no bass at the same time.  if you're just asking for less bass than the song actually was recorded with then EQ would be the way to go instead of specifically looking for something that's bass light.

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #14 of 25
If this is directed towards me...

I will simply say that the Etys are accurate and true to what was produced by the sound engineers.

No more, No less.

Jim

How can you claim true music reproduction if the bass doesn't sound like what it would be in real life?

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #15 of 25
I'm probably just being pedantic about the terminology, though i don't think you want your favorite pair to be associated with 'little to no bass' when there are terms such as 'neutral' and 'transparent' that would better describe it.  :)  when people say light/anemic bass I assume it delivers less than what the song calls for and when they say bass heavy I assume both that the bass is often times in excess of what's intended and that it is often accomplished at the expense of mids and treble/soundstage.  To some other people though when they say bass light they simply mean it has less bass than those with heavy bass emphasis, but there's quite a large degree of difference between being neutral and not enough.  Of course this also depends heavily upon your musical genre etc, blah blah blah blah I'll shut up now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back