Looking for earbuds that are good for outdoor activities
Apr 23, 2019 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

midix

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for non-isolating earbuds (or very shallow IEMs) that would be comfortable for use while walking / slow jogs etc. for many hours. Ideally - also when taking a nap and accidentally turning my head to the side... but maybe that would be too much to ask from a single pair of earbuds :D

Budget: about $20. Chinese (Aliexpress etc.) options are welcome.

I have small ears and that might be the reason why my ear canals get irritated easily from any normal IEMs and I feel psychological discomfort because of some foreign body blocking my ears and getting deep inside.

So, I would like to have earbuds that are shallow but don't fall out easily and also aren't overly sensitive to occasional dust and raindrops.

Currently I have Sony MDR-E820LP and they fall out too easy, even from a strong windblow. Otherwise they are pretty comfortable and sound decent.

My musical preference - rock, pop, world music, electronic (ambient, new age; not dance). Examples: Era, A-Ha, Deep Forest, Bjork. I'm definitely not a basshead, although I have no objections against some "disco smile" V shaped sound. Also, I listen to audiobooks a lot.

Listening sources - usually low-end, currently Sansa Clip+ with Rockbox firmware.

Also, it would be nice to have a good cord that doesn't harden and crack from bodily oils or during cold winter.

I've looked at sports hook-style earbuds, like Panasonic HS34E but a friend told that the hooks sometimes work the opposite way making the earbuds slip out, and also they aren't as discrete as earbuds.

Semi-in-ear / half-in-ear (not sure if there's an official term for that) sports earbuds like JVC HA-EN10 or JVC HA-F160 might be my best option, but I haven't tried them yet, so I have no idea how do they actually fit. From the photos, their nozzle-style tips look like less penetrating than IEMs with replaceable round tips.

It might be worth trying those great Chinese earbuds like Qian69 or Monk Plus if only I could find solid fitting eartips that fit both the earbuds and my ears without messing up the sound quality too much.

If you can suggest something aimed at sports and shallow insertion I'd really appreciate any ideas.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 4
Have you tried doubling up the foams or using a shirt-clip?
Maybe that's all you need.

From what I've read the Monks are kinda old news now.
You're probably better off starting with a Vido as they sound great and they're a dirt-cheap way to see if the MX500 shell type is compatible with your ear shape.
If you like what you hear from the Vido, then there are some other really nice sounding buds using the same shell that are easily worth spending up to $20 on, like the Sabia, ANN200, and the Kube V1 for example.
There's a bunch of others using the same MX500 shell that constantly get high praise in the ear-bud roundup thread, (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/) but I've not heard them so won't mention them.

Apr 24, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #3 of 4
Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 6:22 AM Post #4 of 4
Those silicone tips should help keep the buds in, but they might jank-up the sound a bit.
Probably will increase bass volume and everything else will suffer a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back