looking for durable iem's
Jul 20, 2012 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

iamanoob

New Head-Fier
So I've been through a couple pairs of ear buds the past year, my first being etymotic mc5's and then nuforce ne 700x. I loved the etymotics but I failed to take care of them and the wire ended up falling apart. I liked the nuforce's a lot too, but they seemed extremely frail, and eventually one the the wires ended up disconnecting from the ear bud, not completely but enough so that they no longer work. 

I dont know much about headphones and sound, but I like to enjoy my music (mostly hip-hop, but a little bit of everything). I need an every day pair that produced good quality, but is good for gym use and can take somewhat of a beating. Looking for something in the $50-80 range. Was thinking about another pair of etymotics but I'm open to other suggestions. Really just need a place to start for durable in ears with good sound quality. 

Thanks!

Jul 20, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #2 of 7
Step up to the Etymotic ER-4 series.

Rebuildable and Serviceable by Etymotic.

You can find a used set for about 150 bucks.

Ety Service... Cord replacement 50 bucks, BA replacement & balance is 85 bucks.

Good Stuff, Jim

Jul 26, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 7
Those look sweet but they're a little out of my price range. 

I was looking at the Shure se215-k's, anyone know how these are? Or if there are other iem's with good durability as well as sound for under $100 that are worth looking into?

Thanks.

Jul 26, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 7
Under a 100 ya say?

Etymotic HF5 can be found for 99

Or the Etymotic MC5 for about 50

Both of which have a great build, warranty, and in my opinion sound.

Cheers, Jim

Jul 26, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #5 of 7
Kind of forgot about the HF5s. Guess I like trying different brands lol. Think I might give those a try since I liked my MC5s so much. Thanks.

Any other suggestions are always welcome too!

Jul 27, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
Kind of forgot about the HF5s. Guess I like trying different brands lol. Think I might give those a try since I liked my MC5s so much. Thanks.

Any other suggestions are always welcome too!

If you liked the MC5 you'll love the HF5. Go for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back