Looking for desktop/bookshelf speakers
Apr 24, 2013 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Change is Good

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello all,

I am currently in the market for some desktop/bookshelf speakers. I have no clue as what to look for, so let me start with my sources. I will be using my laptop with an HRT Music Streamer II as my DAC and also have an E12 as my portable amp for my laptop and headphones. If the speakers need amplification I am hoping I can slide by with the E12. I have a Matrix M-Stage, also, but it is being used elsewhere. I have a pretty small desk so size is limited and would like to keep wiring to a minimum, also (preferably by RCA to pair with my HRT DAC).

I keep coming across the Audioengine A2/A5, Creative Gigaworks T40, Behringer B2031P/A, Infinity Primus P163BK, Rokkit 5G2, and many others.

I do not know the difference between passive and active speakers... and do not know which would fit my setup better. My budget is preferably under $300 and would like to avoid buying any extra equipment because as I said before my space is limited.

As for sound quality, I prefer a balanced/neutral sound with a good soundstage and decent (but not overpowering) bass
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and cheers

Apr 25, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #3 of 4
I bought the Airmotiv 4 last week to make use of their 30-day in home trail and special offer. Needless to say theses aren't going anywhere, they sound terrific!

For what it's worth I've heard the Rokit 5 G2, Yamaha HS50M and some other small powered monitors. Because of the Airmotiv ribbon transducer the sound these things produce is buttery-smooth and that makes all the difference in the world when they're a couple feet away from yours ears. In comparison the Yamaha HS50M are overly bright and sibilant while the Rokit 5s are quite a lot warmer and bass-heavy overall. I use a PS Audio DLIII as DAC and run XLR into them, they also take RCA which is basically the same thing.

Female vocals on these... Diana Krall... wow!

I also listen to a lot of electronica, movies, games etc and there is no deep bass to speak of, which for a desktop speaker is a good thing. I am however going to pair them with an accurate 8/10" subwoofer further down the line.

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #4 of 4
I bought the Airmotiv 4 last week to make use of their 30-day in home trail and special offer. Needless to say theses aren't going anywhere, they sound terrific!

I agree. They are excellent speakers for their current sale price of $314/pair. I don't think you can do better for active speakers at that price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back