looking for deeper punchier and higher cleaner than denon ahd500,sony xd400:dt770??
Mar 25, 2006 at 6:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

timcodes

Head-Fier
Hi there,

After buying the xd400 sony I was dissapointed. My old denon seems to have higher highs and deeper lows & punchier than my xd400 (movie mode).

I think I have decided to take the dt770, I hope I wont regret it. Please help me by putting my mind to rest, does it have deeper than the old denon ahd550? Does it have higher and cleaner sound as well?
Even compare to the xd400?

I'm new at this....
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you.....

Mar 25, 2006 at 9:38 AM Post #2 of 13
Well the DT770's are very bassy. However, you'll need an amp to drive them correctly. I believe a cheapie amps like go-vibe or pa2v2 will work with them fine. "Movie mode" on the XD400's just makes everything more muddy. If you still have them, you'd want to keep them on "music mode" only.

EDIT: I forgot, if you bought the 80 ohm DT770, you won't need to use an amp. ...though, of course, it certainly would improve with one.

Mar 25, 2006 at 11:28 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by timcodes
Hi there,

After buying the xd400 sony I was dissapointed. My old denon seems to have higher highs and deeper lows & punchier than my xd400 (movie mode).

I think I have decided to take the dt770, I hope I wont regret it. Please help me by putting my mind to rest, does it have deeper than the old denon ahd550? Does it have higher and cleaner sound as well?
Even compare to the xd400?

I'm new at this, so please forgive....

Thank you.....

I can understand that you are worried about that if your denon outclassed DT770 in punchier bass then your whole investment will be like
rolleyes.gif

Let me know that how much bass performance difference are you feeling between XD400 and your denon ?

Mar 25, 2006 at 1:18 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
I can understand that you are worried about that if your denon outclassed DT770 in punchier bass then your whole investment will be like
rolleyes.gif

Let me know that how much bass performance difference are you feeling between XD400 and your denon ?

Thanks for all your responses! The Denon has ever slight more in terms of deeper bass and more defined bass, and ever so slightly in quantity or very very slight - almost cannot tell the difference (in quantity), at least my opinion. The sony one, yes, you are quite right its muddy. The denon has more defined sound in the highs, I say this because I often try to pick up an instrument (electronic one) with ease or say a train sound which I have a hard time picking up with the sony. I feel though sony has more midrange.

Do you think I will still be dissapointed?

Second since I don't own an amp and I hear that my pda dell axim x50v can drive the unit, even 250 ohm one. Does the 250ohm one sound better than the 80ohm one?

Mar 25, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Thanks for all your responses! The Denon has ever slight more in terms of deeper bass and more defined bass, and ever so slightly in quantity or very very slight - almost cannot tell the difference (in quantity), at least my opinion. The sony one, yes, you are quite right its muddy. The denon has more defined sound in the highs, I say this because I often try to pick up an instrument (electronic one) with ease or say a train sound which I have a hard time picking up with the sony. I feel though sony has more midrange.

Do you think I will still be dissapointed?

Second since I don't own an amp and I hear that my pda dell axim x50v can drive the unit, even 250 ohm one. Does the 250ohm one sound better than the 80ohm one?

Lets go step by step.

You told your denon has slightly punchier and more refined then XD400 in bass segment.... OK....... I dont have DT770 but with A500 I got morethen double bass power then XD400. Obviously DT770 should go beyond that.

Your denon lacks in Midrange then sony
DT770 will do the same. And A500 also. But both will produce superior quality.

Your denon produce good highs.
Same with DT770 and A500 but crisp and clearer then your denon and sonys.

What you'll get more is crisp details and better instruments seperation then your low end denon and sonys. And you will be shocked by your purhase. Atleast I am sure if you go with A500 or A900. DT770 must be in same league.

And ofcource you can drive 80 ohms better then 250 ohms without amp. But it's reported that without an amp. DT770 is also hard to drive.

Mar 25, 2006 at 1:58 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Lets go step by step.

You told your denon has slightly punchier and more refined then XD400 in bass segment.... OK....... I dont have DT770 but with A500 I got more then double bass power then XD400. Obviously DT770 should go beyond that.

Your denon lacks in Midrange then sony
DT770 will do the same. And A500 also. But both will produce superior quality.

Your denon produce good highs.
Same with DT770 and A500 but crisp and clearer then your denon and sonys.

What you'll get more is crisp details and better instruments seperation then your low end denon and sonys. And you will be shocked by your purhase. Atleast I am sure if you go with A500 or A900. DT770 must be in same league.

And ofcource you can drive 80 ohms better then 250 ohms without amp. But it's reported that without an amp. DT770 is also hard to drive.

I just hope someone who has both xd400 and the dt770 can compare the two. But your advice has been very very helpful, now I'm just looking for that 1%, 99% I will go for it... and I can't wait!!!
580smile.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 2:07 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

I just hope someone who has both xd400 and the dt770 can compare the two. But your advice has been very very helpful, now I'm just looking for that 1%, 99% I will go for it... and I can't wait!!!
580smile.gif

I am also watching that someone compare it on same way. But DT770 vs. XD400. coz I am also trying to find out the bass performance difference between A500 and DT770.
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 2:12 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

I am also watching that someone compare it on same way. But DT770 vs. XD400. coz I am also trying to find out the bass performance difference between A500 and DT770.
wink.gif

Don't forget the highs too!

Mar 26, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

I'm assuming that you had the xd400 then?

No..... I had XD100 and XD300, but I heard my friends XD400. It was slightly improved version from it's younger brothers. But was not better then my philips hp250. My all posts to you are based on XD*** listening experience. and there is no confusion at all. It's too much difference in sound quality and bass performance.

Don't think it's 10% or 15%. But I found morethen 100% improvement over these low end cans anyway. It's my feelings and judjment.
icon10.gif

Mar 26, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #12 of 13
DT 770/80 Pro...

FTW

I don't think you'll be bummed about the bass or the highs. They're so upfront that the mids seem recessed, though.

Great headphones for rock, dance, hip-hop, or any music that has bass that would make a subwoofer wail.

Mar 26, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

No..... I had XD100 and XD300, but I heard my friends XD400. It was slightly improved version from it's younger brothers. But was not better then my philips hp250. My all posts to you are based on XD*** listening experience. and there is no confusion at all. It's too much difference in sound quality and bass performance.

Don't think it's 10% or 15%. But I found morethen 100% improvement over these low end cans anyway. It's my feelings and judjment.
icon10.gif

Thanks! I'm gonna put for an order!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back