Looking for decent wireless IEMs (Phiaton PS 20 BT?)
Jul 4, 2012 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Fozzie

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm looking for decent wireless IEMs for workout at the gym.

My main IEMs are Shure SE535. When I workout i'm using the SoundMagic PL-50 and I want to replace them with wireless BT set.

Any recommendations ?

What do you think about the Phiaton PS 20 BT ?

Thanks

Jul 4, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #4 of 11
Look up Jaybird...

They have an in ear with AptX.

I listened to an over the head model today while I washed the car.

Sound quality was very good.

Cheers, Jim

Jul 4, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 11
I did some reading, the AptX technology comes with BT v2.1 (3MB/s) the BT v3.0 has x8 the v2.1 bandwidth (24MB/s) so I think it's more than enough to deliver hi-quality lossless audio, am I wrong ?

Jul 4, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 11
I sent an email to Phiaton asking them about it. Thank you
smile.gif

Jul 4, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #8 of 11
Jul 4, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
Hi guys,

I'm looking for decent wireless IEMs for workout at the gym.

My main IEMs are Shure SE535. When I workout i'm using the SoundMagic PL-50 and I want to replace them with wireless BT set.

Any recommendations ?

What do you think about the Phiaton PS 20 BT ?

Thanks

For the gym I've been using the Meelectronics AF-9 and it works flawlessly but it's A2DP and does work with both Apple and Android set-ups.  It's wireless in the sense that you don't have to plug it into your device but it does have in-ears that plug into a tiny little box which gives you pause/play, skip and volume up/down controls. It's super light and can easily go onto your shirt collar or sleeve, etc.  You can also use it for calls but since I use it with an iPod nano I haven't tested that yet. I can tonight and can let you know if you'd like.  I would possibly recommend plugging in a different set of in ears as  I can't get the ones that came with it to stay in when I run/sweat. I really like the option to use any iem's I want with it.  I can PM you a pic of my set-up to show you how small it is or post it here if others are interested.

I think the Jaybirds AstroTurf is referring to get much higher reviews than their Jaybird Freedom set.  I had the Freedoms and can't recommend them at all.  I charged them up, connected to my Sony A865 - great sound.  I put the Sony in my armband, right arm like they tell you to, went outside and it wouldn't stay connected.  No matter what I did it cut out and finally stopped playing. I tried a few different times, same result.  With the AF-9 I can set my iPod or Sony on my fireplace and walk through multiple rooms and never lose sound.

Is it the best out there? Maybe not but when I bought it for $38.99 off Amazon I couldn't complain.  I think it's $49.99 now and MEE also has a new set on their website that's completely wireless for $79: Air-Fi AF-12. I think they have another, too?  Once I have some more cash, I might upgrade to the 12.  Sorry that was long but this was something I researched for ages before I finally bought something.  Hope it helps!

**Edit: I thought I'd mention that I generally wear my iPod on my belt/waist and the AF-9 on my shirt and have no connectivity issues.

Jul 9, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #11 of 11
Back with an update.

Phiaton replay my mail, according to them if my phone supports BT v3.0 or higher I can play lossless audio without losing quality.

Thanks all 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back