Looking for decent cans under $300(help wanted)
Apr 16, 2014 at 1:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

NoPlaceLikeOhm

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

New to the site and hoping for some shopping guidance. My birthday is coming up in a couple weeks and I'm planning on getting myself the gift of a headphone upgrade.

My go-to cans are my ATH-M50's, but I also own a pair of chinsy on-ears for the gym and a couple dirt-cheap IEM's. I like the M50's, but their on-ear/over-ear ambiguity leaves the comfort much to be desired, and I'd love something with a bit more clarity, especially in the mids, preferably without sacrificing too much bass response. I'm also a movie-buff, so anything that can bring out the best sound in a film is a solid plus.

Cans I've been considering:
Denon D2000
Denon D600(hate the look, but the reviews on sound intrigue me)
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro
Beyerdynamic DT770(tried these at local music store, enjoyable and comfy, but perhaps too close to M50's)
AKG Q701

Current sources:
Ipod Nano 5th gen
Ipod Mini (Rockboxed)
Sansa clip+ (Rockboxed)

I'm also planning to order a Fiio X3 so I finally have a place for my 24-bit music files, so amping isn't really an issue.

Any advice or input is much appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time.

Apr 16, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #2 of 26
Very nice list of headphones, a lot of choices. You may have to be more specific though. Open/closed, genre of music, etc

For movies, I'd reccomend d2000 or d600. At this point though, you can get d600 for signifcantly cheaper ($230 on eBay).

Also consider adding Hifiman HE-400 to your list, definitely one of the higher rated open headphones.

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #3 of 26
They'd be my home pair and I have the benefit of my own apartment so I'm putting comfort and sound before leakage.

I've been going back and forth from the d600 and d2000 for a couple weeks now. I've found the D600 for $220 refurbished and the D2000 for around $275 used. I want to pull the trigger on the D600, but the D2000 seem more versatile from what I've read and between the two have a much more "classic" look in my opinion.

As far as genre, I'm a bit all over the place. Currently on my Ipod:

Flying Lotus
James Blake 
Grizzly Bear
Burial
St. Vincent
Nicholas Jaar
Grouper
Holy Other
MGMT
Portugal the Man
Tame Impala
Grimes

I guess I'd describe my tastes as indie/electronic. I also enjoy other genres such as mainstream EDM, classic rock, hip-hop, and classical, but these are the artists I gravitate towards and want to sound great.

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #4 of 26
Well, then I definitely wouldn't go d600 if you don't like how they look, (I'm fine with the look) if you don't like them 100%, sound goes out the window.

However the d600 are some of the most comfortable headphones I've ever used.

If you are in an apartment, leakage isn't an issue, but isolation may be.

Also maybe look into the focal spirit classic, can't say I've ever heard them, but I've read a lot of reviews and might be a 1-up from d2000

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 26
I've done some research and they do look a bit silly when stretched over the head, but nothing deal-breaking to me.

The M50's don't isolate terribly well, but they more than get the job done in that regard. It's the pinching on my ears and clamping force that kill me after 45 minutes or so. I don't think I've ever watched a full movie without readjusting them for comfort, and from what I've seen of the D600 with their ear-shaped pads and memory foam, that issue would disappear.

What genre would you say they shine with?

Again thanks for the replies.

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #6 of 26
Also maybe look into the focal spirit classic, can't say I've ever heard them, but I've read a lot of reviews and might be a 1-up from d2000

These actually got thrown on my radar after the InnerFidelity review a few weeks back.

Intriguing for sure, but I think I'll wait for a price drop before really  looking into them.

Apr 16, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #7 of 26
d600 will satisfy you.

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #12 of 26

I was actually looking at those as well. Perhaps for my next set.

Nice, hopefully these cans will spice up the EDM and hip-hop recordings I've been neglecting.

You should look into the HE-400s. Some of the best sounding headphones for those genres, and a whole different league over the M50s. See this review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HE400

They are currently on sale for $299 most places, but razordog also has a $50 rebate off that.

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #13 of 26
You should look into the HE-400s. Some of the best sounding headphones for those genres, and a whole different league over the M50s. See this review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HE400

They are currently on sale for $299 most places, but razordog also has a $50 rebate off that.

I actually looked at those as well. I have a feeling after experiencing planar-magnetic greatness there would be no turning back:xf_eek:

Ah, hell; I'll toss em in the mix.

D2000/D600/HE-400. I have a feeling this will be a game-time decision.

Thanks for the tip on that rebate
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #14 of 26
Because the HE-400s are open, they will have a bigger soundstage than the Denons, which can create a better immersion experience.

But yeah. The HE-400s are incredibly resolving. The detail of the planar magnetics is just fantastic :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back