Looking for DAC & SS Amp for new Audeze gear
Mar 24, 2014 at 7:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

BeyerMonster

100+ Head-Fier
Demo'd a bunch of Audeze gear and liked it enough that I wanted an LCD-3 (for home) and a LCD-XC (for work).

Picked up an Alo Audio Pan Am to dip my toes into the tube amp waters since the Pan Am seems to be mentioned often as having a synergistic relationship with Audeze as a good pairing, but I know I'll probably end up happier with solid state gear in the end.

I've already got a Headroom Little More Power and a Beyerdynamic A1 (originally purchased to pair with my 600Ohm Beyer's), so only looking for things that will be an appreciable upgrade.

Generally aiming for a neutral detailed presentation without being overly bright. Accurate reproduction of percussion is always a plus.

Would obviously considering things less, but I'm earmarking $2000-$4000 for a DAC and a new amp. Preference for separates.

My contenders list so far:

SS Amps (in roughly increasing order of price):
Schiit Mjolnir
Violectric V200
Bryston BHA-1
Auralic Taurus Mk II

DACs:
Schiit Gungnir
Violectric V800
Bryston BDA-2

Most of my gear (headphone and non headphone) is on my profile.

Anything else I should consider?

Mar 28, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #2 of 2
Decided to just bite the bullet and buy the Schiit Gungnir/Mjolnir stack and the Violectric V200/V800 stacks to just demo myself at home.
I want 2 new amp/dac stacks anyway (work/home), and I'll have the ALO Pan Am and the Magni/Modi combo to mess around with as a budget point of reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back