Looking for comfortable open back headphones for large head, budget <300€
Oct 30, 2021 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

hereistommy

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I was around this forum for a few months over 10years ago when I was looking for my last portable music player and was helped here a lot to a Cowon device that lasted me many years. I don't remember account name and don't have access to the e-mail it was registered with. But I thought that this was a good place to come back to, to ask for some advice.

I haven't bought headphones in years, the last pairs I can actually remember buying are the QC25 shortly after they came out because I travelled a lot, which are still around today and 2 aftershokz models, the aeropex being the latest for listening to podcasts/audiobooks while running and cycling.

I am now looking for headphones for my home. I have a good mixture of lossless and lossy music ranging from synthwave to folkmetal with some old hip-hop thrown into the mix. They also should be usable for a little bit of movie/tv and gaming, but 85% music I'd guess. I would highly prefer ones that aren't too bass-forward and go more in a neutral/balanced (not sure of the correct terminology) direction. I usually use the headphone output of my behringer u-phoria umc404hd (which seems to have somewhere in the 10-20Ohm range of output impedance) if that helps.

I have a large head, where most uni-size hats won't fit or are constricting my noggin. I need headphones that are pretty wide without clamping down on the sides of my head. I'd also prefer ones that I can wear for a long time without getting hot under them, which lead me to believe that open-back ones are the way to go, at least from what I read. Since these are for at home use, they don't need to be isolating, so no downside to them being open-back.

I am looking to spend less then 300€ (yes Euros, so availability in Europe is also a must have. Translates to ~340$). If there is no quality jump in the 200-300 range compared to the <200 range, I'd happily spend less :wink:. I'd rate being comfortable on my oversized head higher then a minor sound quality gain. I could find reviews of headphones in that price range, but there's hardly any information on if they'd also fit comfortably on a large head. So I am hoping to find some other individuals here who were also blessed with a large head that can share some recommendations with me.

Thanks.

Nov 2, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 4
I’d recommend the Hifiman Deva Pro, great tonality and it comes with a Bluetooth module. If you want to utilize your amp, the new DT 900 Pro X from Beyerdynamic is a great choice.
Thanks for the reply!
Seems the Deva Pro is not (yet?) available in Europe. The Bluetooth would be a small bonus, but they are probably more in the 400€ - 450€ range if the release here.

Never tried "plush" foam/pads like the DT 900 Pro X has, but I assume that they don't really help in not getting to warm? Also seen a few reviews that mentioned that they clamp quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back