Looking for COMFORTABLE Audiophile grade headphones
Apr 13, 2014 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

McRooster

New Head-Fier
Hi there, I am currently looking to upgrade my headset to something more comfortable and better sounding. Right now I am using the Astro A40s with the SPDIF Output on my Asus Xonar Essence STX (When I plug them in to the 3.5mm jacks I get this loud screeching noise) plugged in to the Astro mixamp. Previously I used AD700s but I found them to be very uncomfortable and weren't very noise cancelling because they were so open.

Any recommendations? I mainly game with them so I love the feel immersion (7.1 surround sound).

Apr 13, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #2 of 8
Everyone has a different opinion, based on head shape, etc., so the best thing is to try on lots of pairs (if possible in your area) and see what feels best. Personally, Sennheiser HD600s are the most comfortable headphones I've worn.

Apr 14, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #3 of 8
  Everyone has a different opinion, based on head shape, etc., so the best thing is to try on lots of pairs [...]

+1

'Audiophile' headphones which are considered by many to be comfortable -

AKG 712
AKG 702 (new stock without bumps on headband)
NAD Viso HP50
Beyerdynamic DT880 
Sony MDR-7520
Sennheiser HD650

Apr 14, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #4 of 8
If you want comfortable you really can't beat the Beyerdynamic DTxxx line-up.

DT770 if you want a closed back with a great soundstage (for being closed)
DT990 if you want a really fun headphone with great soundstage and open sound

I haven't tried the DT880s but they are going to be as comfortable as the DT990.

The DT990 and DT880 pads are just slightly more comfortable pads than the DT770.

For noise isolation they used thicker pads on them but they are still very comfortable velour pads.

Apr 18, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #7 of 8
I don't play much games, but I never had problems pin pointing where everybody is with the Shure SRH 1840. Great soundstage and the imaging is pretty accurate imo. 

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #8 of 8
Previously I used AD700s but I found them to be very uncomfortable and weren't very noise cancelling because they were so open.

No open headphone is going to be "noise cancelling." However, open headphones will always give you the better soundstage over closed. It's the trade off if you want good surround immersion.

I'd look into the AKG K550. They have one of the biggest soundstages for a closed headphone (better than the DT770 to me). Soundmagic HP-100s would be another to consider.

Also, just curious. Is the Astro Mixamp really that much better than the STX's Dolby Headphone output? I haven't heard the Mixamp, but it would seem redundant to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back