Looking for closed headphones
Jan 22, 2015 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

ZSamuels28

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All,
I currently have the Grado RS1i's but I am looking for a closed headphone that is equivalent because I want to use my headphones at work and do not want everyone around me to hear what I am listening to. Please give me your recommendations. I will be looking to trade my Grado's eventually and am willing to trade and possibly add some cash if the headphones are better.
Thanks!

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #2 of 45
I have the focal spirit professionals and I'm very happy with them.I also hear that the Sony MDR 7520 are pretty great.
Otherwise, pretty typical recommendations: Denon D2000, D5000, D7000 - Fostex TH600/900 - Shure 1520 - Sennheiser Amperior - ATH - W1000x - Ultrasone Pro 900

I would point out that some closed headphones aren't that closed. The Denons, for example, leak a bit of sound. 

Jan 23, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 45
Price doesn't amount to performance in my books. I've closely auditioned all the so-called high-end headphones Sennheiser HD600/650/700/800, and the Beyerdynamic DT880, and the AKG series and the Abyss-1266 ($6000), and any other you might care to mention, they all sounded either average or garbage!

At the end of the day all the headphone is doing is trying to convey an accurate image of the source-sound, right? Well it doesn't take $1500 to do that, it only takes a $20 piece of metal called a driver and how it's tuned, that doesn't take money, it just takes luck or a competent technician with a decent pair of ears, which apparently every technician doesn't seem to have. Try Roland, at least they are a high-end audio company with billions of dollars, they've definitely got something in their line-up. These other popular brands all sound like crap, including the HiFiMan series. I listened to the HiFiMan series the other day, more garbage!

You can buy my Yamaha MT220's if you want, i'll sell it to you reasonably cheap, and it's in as-new condition, only had them a week. Look at the reviews online then come and see me. Although they're not perfect, there a hell of a lot closer to perfection than anything i've ever bought or auditioned. True story!

Jan 23, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #9 of 45
Price doesn't amount to performance in my books. I've closely auditioned all the so-called high-end headphones Sennheiser HD600/650/700/800, and the Beyerdynamic DT880, and the AKG series and the Abyss-1266 ($6000), and any other you might care to mention, they all sounded either average or garbage!

At the end of the day all the headphone is doing is trying to convey an accurate image of the source-sound, right? Well it doesn't take $1500 to do that, it only takes a $20 piece of metal called a driver and how it's tuned, that doesn't take money, it just takes luck or a competent technician with a decent pair of ears, which apparently every technician doesn't seem to have. Try Roland, at least they are a high-end audio company with billions of dollars, they've definitely got something in their line-up. These other popular brands all sound like crap, including the HiFiMan series. I listened to the HiFiMan series the other day, more garbage!

You can buy my Yamaha MT220's if you want, i'll sell it to you reasonably cheap, and it's in as-new condition, only had them a week. Look at the reviews online then come and see me. Although they're not perfect, there a hell of a lot closer to perfection than anything i've ever bought or auditioned. True story!

i agree to this MT220 thang...my fav closed can :) 
the other would be a dt150.

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #13 of 45
The 1540 is fantastic. I actually find it better than all closed headphones I've tried under 600$. That includes the mt220 which is decent, the t70p, and the denon d600. Its one of better all rounders out there under 1000$.

Best Regards,
Jackson

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #14 of 45
mt220 is fantastic for classicals..jazz..rock...1540 is fantastic for movies.  LOL 
( i think mt220 is closer to a RS1?....just imho )

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #15 of 45
  How are the Shure SRH1540?

This is one of the worst headphones i ever heard, no joke! I cannot believe how bad it is. You think i'm joking or talking trash? Go listen to it, then ask if Shure was on drugs when they designed this garbage. The moment i put these on my head and pressed play, my face frowned and i ripped them of my head; they were so bad i thought they might have been a faulty unit, but no the retailer tells me there's nothing wrong with it, that's the sound.

If you want a reasonable quite accurate nice overall balanced tone, the Shure SRH 840 is one of the few i would concede is definitely one of the better ones. The Shure 940's are crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back