Looking for Closed Headphones
Jul 9, 2005 at 6:33 AM Post #31 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by ConfusedNewbie15
Although I will be listening to some music, gaming is the main priority here.
Are the PC 150s comfortable?
Again are the A500s really as big as CDs!?
eek.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Edit: I'm not sure I want an amp because the Beyers are a bit too expensive as it is
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the PC150 is a good idea then. The mic is very good, sound for gaming is very nice. comfortwise these are supra-aural cans meaning they sit against your ear rather than cupped around it, which can be a niggle sometimes but comfortwise i really cant complain. Havent had problems with comfort playing many hours of BF2 at a stretch

If you dont want an amp, definitely don't get the beyer 770. The really need a good amp to deliver the goods (but with a good amp, man do they deliver!)

Jul 9, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #33 of 49
The A500s are definetly smaller than the size of a CD. Here are some pics to give you an idea of their size:
A500cd.jpg

A500cd2.jpg

A500.jpg

Jul 10, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #34 of 49
Last I checked, the A500s were around $100...
Thanks Azure for the pictures! They really helped! Can you tell me what the diameter of the cups are?
Does anyone have any pics of the HD280 compared to CD's or the A500 for a perspective on how big those are? Can I get a measurement for the cups on the HD 280 as well?
Anyway more pictures on the A500 are welcome and another thanks to Azure!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #35 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackreplica
If you dont want an amp, definitely don't get the beyer 770. The really need a good amp to deliver the goods (but with a good amp, man do they deliver!)

What about the 80ohm version of the DT770 ??
That you could surely use with gaming, no??
Would that still require a good amp to get the ground sound??
Maybe you might be interested in this setup??

Jul 12, 2005 at 1:07 AM Post #36 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by ConfusedNewbie15
Last I checked, the A500s were around $100...
Thanks Azure for the pictures! They really helped! Can you tell me what the diameter of the cups are?
Does anyone have any pics of the HD280 compared to CD's or the A500 for a perspective on how big those are? Can I get a measurement for the cups on the HD 280 as well?
Anyway more pictures on the A500 are welcome and another thanks to Azure!
smily_headphones1.gif

Need answers please!

Jul 12, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #38 of 49
I know these are under your price point, however I picked these up at guitar center for 55 (had to haggle them a bit, you can get them online for 50), and I am quite impressed with them. They are not in the league of the DT-770, however they are the best sealed phone I have heard under 100, and that includes the HD-280pro. I felt that while these did not reach as low as the 280pro, the bass was a bit more punchy. Just a thought if you want to pick out something a bit cheaper. The build quality on them is excellent. I love the screwable (ehh does that sound a bit dirty to anyone but me?), 1/8 to 1/4" converter, and the cable is nice and long, unlike my grados that I really need to buy an extension for.

Jul 12, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #39 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by j3tang
What about the 80ohm version of the DT770 ??
That you could surely use with gaming, no??
Would that still require a good amp to get the ground sound??
Maybe you might be interested in this setup??

I own the 80 ohm version actually. dont let the low impedance fool you, they really need an amp to sound their best. In fact, IMO, they sound absolutely crap when unamped

Jul 12, 2005 at 5:51 PM Post #40 of 49
The diameter is roughly 3.5 inches. From audiocubes, they come in a rather light package that is essentially paper wrapped around the A500 box:
a500slanded.jpg

A500box.jpg

a500driver.jpg

A500pads.jpg

(The pads that cover the drivers are actually very thin and transparent)
a500top.jpg

(From the top of the 2-ring headband to the bottom of the cups, excluding the cable, the distance is abount 9 inches)

Jul 12, 2005 at 6:35 PM Post #41 of 49
DT770-Pro (or DT770-250) kick ass for gaming... I have the same pair and use them for late night Halo, Mercenaries, Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six, etc. and the are great!

I got mine here for $167

Jul 12, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #42 of 49
I believe that would be out of his budget. He's looking to spend around $100 and his max budget, which he doesn't really want to spend, would be $150.

Jul 12, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #43 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
I believe that would be out of his budget. He's looking to spend around $100 and his max budget, which he doesn't really want to spend, would be $150.

He asked the question....
Quote:

Would it be worth it to pay $200 for the Beyer DT 770s?

Jul 12, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #45 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
The A500s are supposed to be in a higher league than the HD280s and are more comfortable. The A500s are also supposed to have very wide soundstage (A lot more so than the HD280s) and have much better bass (I hear 280 is bloated). The 280s have a vice grip while the A500s "float" on your head. I imagine you'd need a good deal of comfort for those long gaming sessions, so I'd say go with the A500s. Just be sure to check out that A500 sale link at the top of the page before buying.

Have you heard or even tried on the HD280s? If not, what's the basis for these claims? In particular, who's been saying the HD280 bass is "bloated"? I certainly disagree with that assessment. I also wouldn't call the HD280s "vice grip"--they're closed cans designed to isolate well, so yes, they're snug, but not vice-like.

One could also rip the A500s for recessed mids, which are a strength of the HD280s. I wouldn't be comfortable making that claim comparatively, though, since I haven't heard the A500s.

How about an objective comparison from someone who's actually heard both?

rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back