Looking for Closed Headphones
Jul 1, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #16 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by ConfusedNewbie15
Looks like the HD 280s are a big favorite.

I LOVE my HD280Pros. I own quite a few cans, and the 280Pros never dissapoint. GREAT bass.

Jul 2, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #20 of 49
The A500s are supposed to be in a higher league than the HD280s and are more comfortable. The A500s are also supposed to have very wide soundstage (A lot more so than the HD280s) and have much better bass (I hear 280 is bloated). The 280s have a vice grip while the A500s "float" on your head. I imagine you'd need a good deal of comfort for those long gaming sessions, so I'd say go with the A500s. Just be sure to check out that A500 sale link at the top of the page before buying.

Jul 8, 2005 at 5:20 AM Post #22 of 49
Quote:

So need more suggestions to which to go for:
Audio-Technica ATH-A500
Vs.
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro

Both are pretty good. If you want the headset feature, see if you can get a mic at less than a sodding insane price for the HD 280 - and if you shop around you might be able to find it for a bit less.

But the A500 is a good set of cans to!

It's going to be personal preference here.

Jul 8, 2005 at 6:34 AM Post #24 of 49
I can definitely recommend the 770 for gaming, but there is one very important caveat, you must use an amp with them. not sure if it matters or not. If you already have one, seriously consider it. When amped well, these things are great with just about everything. i think the A500 recommendation is very good as well(the price is very nice) though i have yet to hear it

P.S I also play battlefield 2 heavily, and if you are not too picky, i think you would be happy with the sennheiser PC150. Its not that great for music but if gaming is all you do, and you want a good mic included, i think they would fit the bill quite nicely. Soundwise for gaming there isnt *that* much difference between the beyers and the senns (the beyers have more presence, a little more impact, isolation, and some other minor differences). For music (and possibly other games other than BF2, i dont play anything else) of course, its a different matter entirely

Jul 8, 2005 at 8:43 AM Post #25 of 49
Although I will be listening to some music, gaming is the main priority here.
Are the PC 150s comfortable?
Again are the A500s really as big as CDs!?
eek.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Edit: I'm not sure I want an amp because the Beyers are a bit too expensive as it is
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2005 at 10:46 AM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

Although I will be listening to some music, gaming is the main priority here.
Are the PC 150s comfortable?
Again are the A500s really as big as CDs!?
eek.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Edit: I'm not sure I want an amp because the Beyers are a bit too expensive as it is
smily_headphones1.gif

I use the PC150 for gaming and find that the sound is really good. They are a bit bass heavy but that's not a problem for games. I rarely use them for listening to music but can't say that have any problems if I do.

The mic is very good for a pc headset and you will be suprised at the quality overall.

They are not the most comfortable phones in the world. This doesn't mean they're uncomfortable but they're not the lightest you could find. I frequently play long 3-4 hour UT2004 sessions and find them fine.

For a PC headset I give them 9/10

Jul 8, 2005 at 11:08 PM Post #28 of 49
In gaming (and teamspeak and stuff) is the sound really noticeable between the Sennheiser PC 150, HD 280 PRO, and the Audio-Techica ATH A-500?
How big are the cups for the HD 280 Pro and the PC 150? (Pics, measurements, etc?).
Again I need someone to confirm is they really are as big as CD's.

Jul 9, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #29 of 49
Just to thrown in my 2 cents on this, if you're thinking of getting the A500, might as well the A900. Bluetin.com is selling it for $173, so it's only slightly over the $150 price point that you're aiming for. (I'm ordering them from
Bluetin as well.) I recommend that you do a search on the A900 and you'll find numerous comments on how great they are.

To summarized what I've found about the A900, people have even said that the A900 are not all that different than the A1000 and that the extra amount paid for the A1000 isn't worth it. Also, the A900 is a very strong, all-round pair that don't require an amp. It also has a wide soundstage.

Right now I'm just waiting for Bluetin to give me a quote of my entire order so that I can finalize the deal. I can't wait to get my new set of 'phones!

Jul 9, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #30 of 49
Quote:

Audio-Techica ATH A-500?
Again I need someone to confirm is they really are as big as CD's.

I'm not 100% sure about the A-500, but I have the A-900 (which are really good, good sound and very comfortable), and they are just slightly smaller than a CD
smily_headphones1.gif
(I put a CD up against the cup and you could see about 5mm of the CD at both the top and bottom). I'd assume the A-500 are roughly the same size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back