Looking for Closed Headphones
Jun 28, 2005 at 10:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

ConfusedNewbie15

New Head-Fier
Alright, I need some headphones to frag on battlefield 2 while everyone is asleep
600smile.gif

They need to be closed (as in they don't leak any sound).
Circum-aural would be nice, but so long as it's comfortable supra-aural's fine.
It needs to be $100 or under, although I possibly will go as high as $150 even though I'm extremely reluctant to do so.
I will mostly be playing games.
Microphones are not mandatory, but are welcomed.
Any links to reviews of particular suggestions would be fine.
Any links to good deals would be fine as well.

Here's a quick recap:
1: Closed
2: Either circum-aural or supra-aural
3: $150 is the highest I'll pay. Under $100 is what I'm shooting for though.
4: Will be used for playing games at night.
5: Microphones are fine.
6: Links would be appreciated.

Here's some good headphones I've found so far:

1: Beyer DT 250-80 (I'd buy theese if they weren't so expensive, if someone can find me a good deal that'd be great!)
2: PC 150/160 (Although they aren't closed they are noise cancelling which is fine)
3: If 5.1 is a must then the Zalman one.

Any suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks in advance!

Jun 28, 2005 at 11:01 AM Post #2 of 49
Try the Beyer DT234 (DT231 with a mic attached - quite cheap and good value, supra aural but quite comfy) or Beyer DT770-80 (no mic but good isolation, very comfortable, extreme bass, great for games).

Actually the DT234 doesn't have great isolation so probably wouldn't be best.

BTW, I think the BF2 demo stinks - it's very limited and unintelligent, IMHO
biggrin.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 11:23 AM Post #3 of 49
I'd add the HD212 Pro to the list. These cans have very good isolation, and bass heavy sound seems to work well for games.

Jun 28, 2005 at 11:35 AM Post #4 of 49
I always found the HD 280 good for games, but not necessarily for music. And I know that Sennheiser sells some sort of mic attachment kit. It's got all the things you're looking for, and it retails for $99.

Jun 29, 2005 at 12:15 AM Post #5 of 49
Looks like the HD 280s are a big favorite.
@1 UP, I'm buying the actual game soon, so there!
280smile.gif

I think theese are my 280's right:
280smile.gif
=P
What's better, the Beyer DT-250-80 or the HD 280s?
Links to cheap deals and stuff would be nice =)
Thanks so far
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #6 of 49
My favorite movie and game headphones have been Beyer DT770's, they're a little beyond your price range, but its possible to get them for $150 at a guitar center, if you get lucky.

Jun 29, 2005 at 6:59 AM Post #8 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP
BTW, I think the BF2 demo stinks - it's very limited and unintelligent, IMHO
biggrin.gif

Once you get past the server browser and into the game, Battlefield 2 is probably the most intelligent and engaging FPS I've played. It has the potential to be, at the very least. It is an on-line game, so the experience will vary with the people you play with. In ideal game situations, BF2 shines with it's squad and commander features. It definitely surpasses the old deathmatch multiplayer games.

I'm not exactly sure what aspect of the demo you were referring to and I don't have any suggestions about a closed headphone, but I felt like countering the opinion about the game with my own. I've been playing BF2 with my Grados and using a seperate mic around my neck.

Now back to the regularly scheduled topic.

Jun 29, 2005 at 7:05 AM Post #9 of 49
How about the Audio Technica ATH-A500s? They are closed, circum-aural, and can be bought for less than $100 shipped if you use a coupon code. They are also known for having a really big soundstage, which is perfect for games like CounterStrike.

Jun 29, 2005 at 7:15 AM Post #10 of 49
Snag a pair of Beyer DT250-80s. They're worth going a little over your budget for. I've had mine for years now, and love them just as much today as when I first got 'em. They've seen all kinds of use, portable (school/outside/camping/travelling), and home (computer/main rig) alike. Awesome cans for gaming (they're my primary gaming cans), and naturally listening to music. I listen to a pretty wide range of genres and styles, and they sound great no matter what I throw at them. Relatively easy to drive too (use with my discman doesn't sound that much worse than having them amped through my CHA47). They're durable as hell as well, like most other headphones in the Beyerdynamic lineup. My DT250-80s are like my beater cans (take them anywhere in anything), I don't have to worry about them like I do my others, since they're so tough.

Jun 29, 2005 at 1:42 PM Post #12 of 49
Not really a question of "better" - more which you prefer. The DT770-80 are quite close to my DT990 - I also think they scale more with better equipment. Certainly more comfy than the DT250. But the DT250 has a punch and forwardness that is quite different to the darker, heavier sounding DT770.

:hardbop - well we were playing the demo on the LAN at work - no pub morons here and the gameplay and vehicles were very naff. The gametype was just wandering around and standing around waiting for the flags to change around target points, zzzzzz..... Is there more to the game than this? My current feeling is that EA just suck Super Monkey Balls.

Jun 30, 2005 at 10:47 AM Post #13 of 49
I've organized my selection of headphones of the following: under $150 and over $150. Depending on whether or not I can find a good deal on the $150+ I'm probabaly going with the under $150 headphones.

Under $150:
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
AKG K240s (if there's a better version let me know)
Audio-Technica ATH-A500

Above $150:
Beyer DT 770 Pro
Beyer DT 250-80
Beyer DT 250-250

1: Links for reviews, other topics, hot deals, and reputable vendors would be great.
2: I hope when comparing the following headphones you'd compare the under $150 headphones separetly than from the ones above $150 headphones.
3: I hope when comparing the ones I have suggested that you factor in comfort, sound quality (especially for games), and anything else you can think of.
4: Keep in mind anymore suggestions are welcomed.

Again, thanks in advance, I'd be lost without you guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back