Looking for closed headphones for evening sessions... bass
Oct 12, 2018 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

HiFiRebel

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

recently joined, but been lurking for a while. I have recently bought Philips Fidelio X2 and really like them. However, two things. One, I had to add more bass (by adding Real Bass Exciter in Foobar), which surprised me as these headphones are suppose to be "bassy"; two, my family complains about the music coming from my room at night (with door closed). The X2's leak a lot of sound.

So, I've been looking around for a set for evening listening sessions and came across Monoprice Monolith M1060C. It seems like they have it all - closed, good lows and not too expensive. The question is, is there anything else I should consider. I'm keeping the X2's, so looking something to compliment them. Budget to around $300 or £300, but less it better.

I listen through FX-Audio DAC X6 connected to my PC. Mostly FLACs. Anything really, from relaxing acoustic music to death metal (not that often these days, but I still like heavy music). Heavy thumping bass is important, but also wouldn't like them to be muddy. I like clarity in mids and highs with thumping bass. Warm but not muddy.

Any recommendations will be very much appreciated. I have the M1060C added to my Amazon basket but waiting for the price to come down a bit, so in the meantime I thought I will ask for some kind knowledgeable people in here to help a noob :)

Thank you

Oct 12, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 14
Argon Mk3 with protein pads. Leaks nothing and the bass can knock you unconscious yet it doesn't sacrifice mids in the process, and the highs are cleaner than most (but subdued).

Oct 12, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #3 of 14
Hello all,
recently joined, but been lurking for a while. I have recently bought Philips Fidelio X2 and really like them. However, two things. One, I had to add more bass (by adding Real Bass Exciter in Foobar), which surprised me as these headphones are suppose to be "bassy"; two, my family complains about the music coming from my room at night (with door closed). The X2's leak a lot of sound.
So, I've been looking around for a set for evening listening sessions and came across Monoprice Monolith M1060C. It seems like they have it all - closed, good lows and not too expensive. The question is, is there anything else I should consider. I'm keeping the X2's, so looking something to compliment them. Budget to around $300 or £300, but less it better.
I listen through FX-Audio DAC X6 connected to my PC. Mostly FLACs. Anything really, from relaxing acoustic music to death metal (not that often these days, but I still like heavy music). Heavy thumping bass is important, but also wouldn't like them to be muddy. I like clarity in mids and highs with thumping bass. Warm but not muddy.
Any recommendations will be very much appreciated. I have the M1060C added to my Amazon basket but waiting for the price to come down a bit, so in the meantime I thought I will ask for some kind knowledgeable people in here to help a noob :)
Thank you

Check the website Massdrop.

Oct 13, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #5 of 14
Argon Mk3 with protein pads. Leaks nothing and the bass can knock you unconscious yet it doesn't sacrifice mids in the process, and the highs are cleaner than most (but subdued).

Thank you for recommendation. I will be checking reviews soon. That looks very interesting indeed. One thing that is not really explained is balanced vs single ended. Which is better? I have no idea what they mean

https://www.modhouseaudio.com/argon-mk3/zimu3wz0oyxlavnprki2jovso6c31v

EDIT: Looks like Zeos has answered it for me. Balanced. As my DAC / amp is not very powerful (FX Audio DAC X6). Man, these look so interesting. Definitely on my list now. Thank you!

Check the website Massdrop.

Thank you! Just checking it now. However, there are so many of them lol Do you have any specific headphones in mind?

https://www.massdrop.com/top-list/Headphones/type--Closed-Back/max-price--300

VMODA M100 could potentially also work.

Thank you checking the website now and will be watching reviews later :)

https://www.v-moda.com/us/en/products/crossfade-m-100

Thank you all. Much appreciated. I take that these options should be a better choice than M1060C?

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #6 of 14
So I've watched a few reviews of Argon Mk3's and I like what I see. However, pretty much all reviewers mentioned that you need quite a bit of power to drive them properly. Will my FX-Audio DAC X6 be enough for them? Bellow are the DAC's specs:

Technical Specifications
Standard Input Interface: PC USB / coaxial, fiber optic (with toggle switch)
Standard output interface: 6.35mm headphone output base line standard RCA connectors
Line level output: RMS 2V
Perfect driving 32Ω-600Ω headphones
Output power: 90mw / 600Ω, 180mw / 300Ω, 450mw / 100Ω, 610mw / 62Ω, 910mw / 32Ω, 1000mw / 16Ω
SNR: ≥105dB
Distortion: ≤0.001%
Frequency response: 20hz-20khz
Adapter Voltage: 100-240ACV
Machine power / adapter output voltage: Dc12V 1A above

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #9 of 14
Oct 13, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #10 of 14
Yeah the Argon lead time is crazy, the creator is overwhelmed. The ZMF Classic wait time is much shorter. It sounds much like the Argon but slightly less bass, but bass quantity is still very high.

http://www.zmfheadphones.com/order-the-zmf/zmf-classic
He should hire someone to help then :D I love the look of the ZMF's. They look so comfy. But less bass? Never a good thing :D I think I'm just a bass head.

I had to add Real Bass Exciter to my new Fidelio X2 and now the lows sound just how I like them... huge. I think I'll go for the Argons, but still considering the 1060C. I can have them in 1 or 2 days :D I wish I could find someone with both to compare

Oct 14, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #11 of 14
See Hawaiian bad boy video for urbanfun ts1. I've ordered one today.

Oct 16, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #13 of 14
Did you get them yet? Where you getting them from? What do you think about them?

(please excuse so many questions)
I've ordered them off AliExpress but won't receive them for a couple of weeks yet.

Oct 16, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #14 of 14
I've ordered them off AliExpress but won't receive them for a couple of weeks yet.
Until that time I might cave in and order the Argons Mk3 already... and I would have already done it, if it wasn't for the long wait and possible additional custom charges (I'm still looking for a way to lower the cost on them). And also I'll be away abroad for a week in few days time. So might postpone the headphones purchase until I'm back. Therefore, if you don't mind, when you get them, please post some initial thoughts. I'll be definitely interested. I watched a couple of reviews and all that's people talk about is the "BASS" :wink: Sounds very intriguing to me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back