Looking for closed headphones for airplanes (not noise cancelling)
Jul 27, 2022 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Abula

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking for headphones that i plan to use them only on planes / flights, not interested on active noise cancelling headphones as they give me a headache after long sessions, tried bose, sony, audiotechnia, and all have the same result.

I'm looking for recommendations of well design headphone cups that don't allow much noise to enter, in the past I felt the Sennheiser 280 did a decent job at this, just not my favorite sounding headphone, but ill take if you don't have any suggestions. Willing to go into moding or at least swap pads if you feel certain headphones improve dramatically with certain pads.

Its preferred if they are folding headphones, but not mandatory, I would gladly take the inconvenience of a none folding headphone if it will deliver better isolation.

There is no set budget, but I would prefer to keep it below $500, they will mostly with movies with an iPad 12.9'' pro m1 --> iFi Hip-dac2 --> Headphones.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Jul 27, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #2 of 11
Audio Technica ATH-ESW9, at least that would be my first choice.

Jul 28, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 11
Hi,

I'm looking for headphones that i plan to use them only on planes / flights, not interested on active noise cancelling headphones as they give me a headache after long sessions, tried bose, sony, audiotechnia, and all have the same result.

I'm looking for recommendations of well design headphone cups that don't allow much noise to enter, in the past I felt the Sennheiser 280 did a decent job at this, just not my favorite sounding headphone, but ill take if you don't have any suggestions. Willing to go into moding or at least swap pads if you feel certain headphones improve dramatically with certain pads.

Its preferred if they are folding headphones, but not mandatory, I would gladly take the inconvenience of a none folding headphone if it will deliver better isolation.

There is no set budget, but I would prefer to keep it below $500, they will mostly with movies with an iPad 12.9'' pro m1 --> iFi Hip-dac2 --> Headphones.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Hifiman Sundara Closed Back is $399. I'd like to see some graphs and first impressions but it could be a perfect choice for what you're looking for.

Aug 2, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 11
I used to fly once a month on average and I liked Shures (earphones) for the isolation and easy of carrying. If you're not dead set on actual headphones, it is probably worth looking into Shure, Etymotic, and whatever else seals well. No headphone is ever going to isolate like these IEMs and earphones are easy to put in your pocket when you go to the can, etc.

Aug 2, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #6 of 11
Hello,

I use the Ifi hip 2 Dac together with the Aeon R/T closed when I am travelling by train.
I have had the pleasure of sitting next to children and the insulation has been remarkable.
It is a very good combination to use the Hip 2 with the Aeon.
It is also available as Dop X on Massdrop sometimes also always with discount.
But even the $500 had been worth it.Never regretted buying these headphones honestly.

With the Pentacon connector you will definitely have some reserves again to run it very well.
With 3.5 mm connector is also okay but a bit limited but still passable.

Aug 2, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #7 of 11
If you're not in a hurry and don't mind waiting a little bit to check out recent reviews, the new Sennheisser Momentum 4 seems to have improve passive isolation, battery and sound. You wouldn't have to use ANC.

Aug 3, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #8 of 11
As a previous poster mentioned above, no thought on iems? I find the passive isolation to be greater, they're more portable, and make it easier to sleep if you're on an ear. There are some really solid choices (especially used) under $500. They're also easy to drive.

Aug 4, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #9 of 11
I love my AKG K371 if you have a 3.5mm jack to use. The Bluetooth version isn't as good, they sound like they're tuned for battery life, wired are the good ones. They fold and don't cost a mint, $115 range so I don't stress travelling with them.

Aug 6, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #11 of 11
Always cracks me up when someone starts a thread and then doesn't participate. Where you at, OP? Any of these suggestions work for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back