Looking for closed headphone, need advice
Jul 28, 2015 at 12:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

callumrd1

Head-Fier
I am attempting to find a new pair of headphones. I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD650's which I love to death, but I can only use them in secluded locations, as they are open backed. I have a pair of Sennheiser IE80's, but they are a little too strong in the low end. I also have discovered that IEM's can set off my Migraines, so I am looking for a pair of closed back headphones.

I would like them to have, if anything, a slightly dark and smooth sound signature, but by no means should they be overly bass heavy. I have listened to a pair of Sennheiser HD8 DJ's fairly extensively and found that they have a little too much bass for me. The biggest issue with the HD8 DJ's, however, is that the ear cup is slightly too shallow; my ear pushes against the plastic supports in front of the driver, making the headphones quite painful to wear.

The final criteria is that I would prefer that they were, at least to some extent, portable. I want to be able to bring them to the library or to travel with them. This also means that it would be nice if they could be easily driven by an iPod or laptop.

My budget is flexible. For the right pair of headphones, I am willing to spend upwards of $500, but cheaper is obviously better. Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Jul 29, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #3 of 3
The OPPO PM-3 sounds fascinating, but very hard to get a hold of. I am looking to purchase a pair of headphones before my next trip in 2.5 weeks, so does anyone else have any suggestions? 

I spent some time listening to a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50's, but didn't like the sound profile very much, they didn't seal around my ears well at all, and they kept falling off of my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back