Looking for closed, circumaural cans ≈$100
Sep 15, 2009 at 7:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

DSGant

New Head-Fier
Howdy,

I'm moving out of my apartment in with some other folks, somewhat noisy (but fun!) folks. Consequently, I'm looking for some closed headphones.

My current headphones are the Sennheiser HD-555 for home use and the PX-100 for the iPod. My source is a Headroom Total Bithead hooked up to my laptop.

I'd like to find closed cans that have as similar a sonic profile to the HD-555 as possible. I really like the warmth, darkness, and laid-back character of these cans. I'm also looking for as much isolation as possible.

I had initially planned on going with another Sennheiser model, as I tend to be brand loyal, but from their website, at least, it seems that their closed cans are oriented more toward monitoring, and I don't like listening to music on monitors. They tend to pick up too much mic detail and room noise.

I try to listen to as wide a variety of music as possible, but "classical" of various types and periods makes up the biggest chunk of my listening.

I don't want to spend much more than $100, so I don't need the be-all-end-all of quality. In fact, I'm not looking for anything better than the 555's, as I'd rather not be tempted to drop more money on another set of open cans!

Any recommendations from folks with similar listening preferences to mine would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 15, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #2 of 3
Hey, I too am looking for a closed set for classical but also other genres. I've started a thread inquiring about Sennheiser HD280.

On the cheap side, I've found that Sony MDR-V150 are quite acceptable with strings and small ensembles: I like them with Mozart's symphony No.40. They don't have enough definition for Mahler, though. For 4 times the price, I'm sure there are far better alternatives, so I'm eager to hear from the other members.

Cheers.

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #3 of 3
I personally think the JVC HA-RX700s or 900s are some of the best headphones under $100, especially after being modded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back