Looking for cans to compliment Grado HF-2
Sep 7, 2011 at 8:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

punkaroo

500+ Head-Fier
I've had my HF-2s for a while now, and they're still my favourite headphone. Smooth top end, amazing bass, mids are alive and fun.

I have K1000s, though I'm not sure I'm keeping them. Funding an amp is proving to be a challenge. However, I'm possibly looking for a set of cans that will compliment the HF-2s. I really want to love Sennheiser, but I've found them to be dark, and not fun at all. I want a can that's more reference quality, but still knows how to have fun. This will probably be for listening to female vocals.

I've gone through some Audio Technicas, and while I loved them, they didn't make me wanna boogie :)

Oh yes, I should also add that said cans will be amped by my DNA Sonett.

Thanks all.

Sep 7, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #4 of 11
Gee I just posted a similar thread to find a companion for my RS1, will be watching your thread closely. 
Which Sennheiser are you refering to?

Sep 7, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #5 of 11
I only spent a short time with the HD800; I'd like to hear it again.

I enjoyed the detail of the 701s, but thought they were lacking in bass.

I've listened to the HD650s, and portable 238. I found them to be dark and boring.

I read your review of the Shure 940 MalVeauX; it's really piqued my interest! I may have to look into it.

Sep 8, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
Check out SLaRe's comment in the HF2 review comparison thread. I have a pair of T50's now as well, and I concur with SLaRe. The T50 makes a very good complimentary headphone to the HF2.

Yes, for me the T50RP is a perfect partner for the HF-2. The Fostex is a totally different beast than the Grado, and each one has characteristics that the other doesn´t. Now I will add a third member, most probably a Sony MDR-ZX700, Sony MDR-Z1000, Shure SRH-940 or Shure SRH-840.

Sep 8, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #8 of 11
So I've started reading about this Fostex can...I plead ignorance, as I've never even heard of Fostex!

I see these are difficult to drive. I really don't want to have to buy another amp. I wonder how it would do with my Sonett.

Sep 8, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
So I've started reading about this Fostex can...I plead ignorance, as I've never even heard of Fostex!

I see these are difficult to drive. I really don't want to have to buy another amp. I wonder how it would do with my Sonett.

My Audio GD Sparrow drives mine just fine. I had expressed a similar thought to someone that's going to be loaning me his LCD's soon, and he sent me this thread, Amp A / B comparisons.

I think the bigger problem you may have right now is getting your hands on a T50. The last few pages  of the T50 thread have been discussing this, as well as some thoughts from LFF (starting at 2243), who just got a pair. The most amazing thing about the T50 is it's only $74. One of the other issues with the T50 is it's not necessarilly plug and play. It sounds good stock, but it sounds a lot better after some modification, which for the most part are extremely easy to perform.

Sep 8, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #10 of 11
I can get the T50 for less than $100 Canadian online :)

My curiosity is piqued! I'll have to do more research.

Sep 8, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #11 of 11
You're gonna love them. I drive them with the headphone output of my Phonic Helixboard 12 MkII without trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back