Looking for cans that' great for all app w/emphasis on classical
May 16, 2004 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Gummy

100+ Head-Fier
And it has to be powered by nothing higher than Cmoy or PIMETA.
Basically, the cans plus the amp can't be more than $400.... preferrably much less
smily_headphones1.gif

I am looking at the AKG K 501 but seems like it needs quite an amp.
Is it really bad for general apps like watching movies?

If the 501 is not it, then what other phones can I consider?

May 16, 2004 at 4:15 AM Post #2 of 14
K501s are excellent for classical and jazz. Lovely midrange. I have mine driven by my LINN Wakonda, but recently added a Mint amp. Which sounds fairly good, but the added feature is the bass from this amp! Lovely bass.

What are you planning on driving them with? Portable?

May 16, 2004 at 4:21 AM Post #3 of 14
rhymes with HD600's
600smile.gif

should be able to pick them up for ~200

and i'll sell you my Pimeta if you're in the market
biggrin.gif

i'm using the hd600's right now with my maxed pimeta and it is great!

the only reason i'm selling it is because i see a melos sha 1 in my future...
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 16, 2004 at 5:17 AM Post #4 of 14
The A900 seems to do a good job with all types of music, including classcial. I particularly like its forgiving nature with older recordings.

The HD590 is also good with classical.

May 16, 2004 at 6:56 AM Post #5 of 14
AKG K240S is a good, fun all-around headphone that can be had new for $100. It has a very decent soundstage, that I find works well for classical (K501's soundstage is a bit more impressive, however). Unlike the K501, it can be driven to reasonable volumes unamped, even from a portable, but the bass is rather undisciplined unamped. Adding an amp tightens the low end up substantially. K240S also errs on the side of being warmer, with really no hint of brightness, whereas I think that with mediocre sources, the K501, and also perhaps the A900, could come off as a little bright.

The Senn HD580s are also certainly worth considering; they are widely considered nearly indistinguishable from the HD600 and can be had new for $150.

May 16, 2004 at 8:29 AM Post #6 of 14
iirc i came across some thread that mentioned that the 501 and the cmoy made an excellent pairing.

i would not recommend the 240s if your aural slant is towards neutrality (or clinical, depending how you want to look at it
cool.gif
), such as mine is - i swear by my etys and the 501.

the 240s somehow (for me) manages to give such an immensely flabby bass that vocals, midrange, everything is swamped by it. and given it's intended (and advertised) application (portable use), it should not need amplification to sound its best.

May 16, 2004 at 10:34 AM Post #7 of 14
I listen most to classical but also all pop but hardrock and rap
I have the combination Sennheiser HD595 + headphone amp Millenium HP-1. http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoi...el-153548.html
Before I had Philips HP 910 and Creek OBH-11. Not bad, but my new combination is heaven for me. The headphone amp is cheap but at least as good as Creek OBH-11 in my ears. And it is within your budget.

Georg Langrath

May 17, 2004 at 12:40 AM Post #8 of 14
sleepkyng, pm me for the price of your maxed out pimeta
biggrin.gif

I am interested

If with an amp the 501 can be transformed into an all-around set of cans, then I think I'll go with that since I can probably find a set for <$150 for sure (?)

the 595 and 600 are a bit pricy eh?
If I buy that I won't have the money for a good amp.

Thanks ya'll
Keep your suggestions coming

May 17, 2004 at 12:56 AM Post #9 of 14
actaully the k501 is not that hard to drive. a portable->amp->k501 is not so efficience, but with a home dvd/cd player->amp->k501 you wont have a problem.

i never try the k501 with movies watching, but this headphone have great instrument precision. the bass is tight and clean, but they are very very light so explosions and such might not get a great effect. with classical, they are just bliss. they are superbly light and comfortable.

i only wish the k501 was better re-enforce. i personally believe the material that use to build my $65 pioneer se-monitor10r cost more than the material use to build the $180 k501. nevertheless, they both are sweet headphones, both have nice soundstage and good for classical.

May 17, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #10 of 14
I plan to use it like Audigy 2 NX -> some amp -> K 501
So what kind of amp should go in?

Any other cans that has great classical ability + good movie + <$200?

May 17, 2004 at 4:02 AM Post #11 of 14
If the HD600 is too rich for your blood you migh tconsider the HD580. I've heard things like the CMOY/MINT can drive it, but I can't personally attest to this fact. I should add though, you'll be losing so much using that Audigy card--you really could benefit with a source upgrade, either some of the nicer (and budget friendly cards) talked about, like the Chaintech AV-710, or a budget CD Player (I forget models, do a search in the sources sub-forum).

I guess I'm qualified to do the "sorry about your wallet" thing now
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 17, 2004 at 4:37 AM Post #12 of 14
The reason I am using the Audigy 2 NX (external USB) is because I have a laptop.
I was thinking of the Echo Indigo but backed out from the lack of input/outputs.

maybe in the future I'll give that thing a try.

And no, I can't fit a normal PCI soundcard inside my laptop
tongue.gif

May 17, 2004 at 11:30 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummy
Any other cans that has great classical ability + good movie + <$200?

My HD600 sucks for movies. When main character fires a gun in the screen close up, it sounds like it was fired like 50 yards away from me. But if you take out the movie bit HD580/600 could be what you're looking for IMO.

May 17, 2004 at 6:31 PM Post #14 of 14
Wouldnt the cd3k's be good for classical since they're really detailed?

a900's seem to have a warm sound.

you can even look at the ety's. extremely detailed, too detailed for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back