Looking for budget desktop dac/amp for iems
Sep 6, 2020 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Vruksha

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I am planning to get a budget dac/amp to connect with my laptop. Very new to this so not much idea about it.
I be using them with my IEM's now, will be getting something like a HD600/Sundara in the future. So looking for something that can play both low impedance highly sensitive iem's as well as high impedance headphones. I presently spend more time with my 15ohms fearless S8f and 10ohms Shuoer H27.
I know these are supposed to be as transparent as they can but read that their might be slight sonical difference so I'll try explaining my sound. I like it detailed, clean and fast better than smooth and warm. After spending hours n hours, I have come down to 2 amps and 2 dac's but can't figure the best one here.
For Amp, JDS Atom or Topping L30 (which ever one can drive sensitive iem's) Read that L30 is slightly brighter and Atom is warmer (don't know if it's true)
For Dac, Topping D10s or E30. Which ever one is better. One comes with Saber and other with Akm. I dont care about remote and stuff.
I hope someone experienced here can help me get outta this maze.
Thank you, the world is indeed a better place with such forums.

Sep 6, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 4
Looking for something that will drive sensitive IEM’s and high impedance headphones like the 600’s not really going to be too good with either. Low impedance high sensitivity IEM’s really don’t need a amp but a clean source. Most phones or dongles will drive sensitive IEM’s or a Dap would probably be as good as most desktop setups. I have a Atom and would not say it was warm but have not heard the L30 so don’t know if it is brighter.

Sep 6, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #3 of 4
Looking for something that will drive sensitive IEM’s and high impedance headphones like the 600’s not really going to be too good with either. Low impedance high sensitivity IEM’s really don’t need a amp but a clean source. Most phones or dongles will drive sensitive IEM’s or a Dap would probably be as good as most desktop setups. I have a Atom and would not say it was warm but have not heard the L30 so don’t know if it is brighter.
Thanks for the reply.I understand your point. So is there any specific dac/amp dedicated for low impedance gear that can bring a better sound out of my gear ? My laptop sound is crap.

Sep 6, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 4
JDS Atom is clearly a safe choice. It works perfectly with IEMs and has enough power for the HD600 though it will not bring the best out of it because HD600 prefers tubes imo. My tip is get the AKG702 instead of the the HD600 which works perfectly with the Atom.

Sound of the Atom is completely clean and flat. Not warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back