Looking for BT Headphones up to 150$
Jun 29, 2019 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Revanthil

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I'm looking for a recommendation on headphones purchase, which will be mainly used for daily listening to music (movies only occasionally, and for gaming I have a separate wired headset), both at my apartment, in the office at work and during outdoor activities like city walking and commuting.

As the title says, my budget is around 150$. I need them to be wireless (powered without an amp, mostly by a smaprtphone - so low impedance), portable (so foldable design is welcome), and to have a decent enough noise muffling for every day commute in a big city. ANC would be nice but is not a must, if they will have good enough passive noise isolation.

I'm not particularly an audiophile, nor do I work with audio editing - I used an early model of Beats solo before, and then a cheap, sub 50$ model of AKGs, which broke on me recently. So my ear is propably not super trained to hear every tiny detail, or a lack of it, for that matter. Nontheless, I'd prefer my sound to be good quality, and with clear separation of instruments and vocals in sound-dense songs. Flat and super faithful sound is propably not what I'm chasing. I think I'd prefer an U or V shaped profile. I listen mostly to heavier subgenres of metal (thrash, melodic death, black), but also some other subgenres (doom, symphonic, heavy) and I very much like my double bass drum, so leaning towards bass-heavy models. Occasionally to other musical genres like rock, ambient, electronics.

Comfort is pretty important to me, as I'd be taking long listening sessions. Also I'd like them to be durable and last for a while, so it would be nice if they had a decent material quaility (preferably not all plastic, but with some metal elements like headband or so). Having a decent mic to be able to answer calls would be a nice added bonus, but is not a must.

Currently I'm looking at a couple of models:
- Sony WH-CH700N (not being foldable and all plastic are the cons)
- Marshall Monitor BT (very mixed user reviews, so I'm looking at them with much caution)
- Edifier W830BT/W860NB (all plastic build and mixed reviews)
- Taotronics BH022/BH040 (the cheapest price, and the brand makes me doubt their quality, despite quite good reviews)

Would you recommend any of those, or maybe some completely different models? Hope I gave enough info about what interests me. All help and guidance is appreciated. However I have to state, that I'm a newbie in the audio department, so talk to me in a simple english (as I might not understand specialized terminology), and give your suggestions with full names please :)

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #2 of 9
Bit old now but the AKG Y50BT i think the new updated one is the C50BT but im not too sure but i still have the Y50BT and they are really good but i mostly listen to rock.
One i was really tempted to buy before the Y50BT was the AKG N60NC's heard lots of good reviews about them but bit too expensive for what i was using it for.
Not really sure on any others sorry i cant help you.

Jul 1, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #4 of 9
Does the budget has to be up to $150? How about a pair of headphones which price is $79.99?
It doesn't have to be 150$, I just stated I have a limited budget and that's max I can spend. Just wanted to avoid recommendations of sets that I can buy a car with lol, because as I was lurking through this froum a lot of people here seem to spend amounts of money that just look unhealthy to me for a pair of headphones :wink: So if a pair of 80$ heapdphones can fulfill the needs I listed above and be of a good quality at the same time, I'll gladly spend the rest of my spare money elsewhere. I even have some cheaper ones on my shortlist, like Taotronics or the lower model of Edifiers. So I'm eager to hear what would you suggest, sir :>

Bit old now but the AKG Y50BT i think the new updated one is the C50BT but im not too sure but i still have the Y50BT and they are really good but i mostly listen to rock.
One i was really tempted to buy before the Y50BT was the AKG N60NC's heard lots of good reviews about them but bit too expensive for what i was using it for.
Not really sure on any others sorry i cant help you.
The AKGs Y50BT are still available from what I've seen. They were even among my considerations at the beginning, however after what I've read about them I'm hesitant to trust this model. I would also prefer over-ear than on-ear.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 9
I'm also a newbie in the audio department and I'm not so strict to the music. But recently I just got a pair of ANC headphones which is also bluetooth headphones and I love it! I was just impressed by its ANC function when I first time put it on. My world became quiet suddenly! So I guess its ANC function could meet your demand.
Besides, it is wireless and I think the connection function is great. Because when I use t to connect my phone to listen to the music, then I walked away to wash my cup and I can still hear the sound.
I can also answer calls by it. Just press the button down then answer calls.
Everybody has different ears so I cannot make sure that you'll feel comfortable while wearing it. But I never feel uncomfortable after I have enjoyed 2-hours to listen to the music. I'm confused about you said "plastic material". I have gone through the headphones on amazon you have mentioned above and they all looks comfortable and soft personally speaking.
Concerning about music, I prefer symphonic, electronics, rock and also some soft music. It works very well for those kinda music I mentioned when I press the ANC button.
These are my use experience. The brand is iTeknic and the model is BH005. The price is $79.99 if my memory not wrong.

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #6 of 9
Amanda thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately, from what I've chcecked, iTeknic brand is not available to purchase in my country. Only ordering from abroad would be possible in my case, and that raises the shipping costs significantly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back