Looking for brighter/cooler sounding headphones (think Sony MDR-V6) $200 - $300
Dec 12, 2013 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

H20Fidelity

Headphoneus Supremus
I usually find myself in the portable headphones / IEM section, as I"m an IEM kind of guy, however recently I've become interested in full-size headphones although I'm having some problems and lack of time to research all the available options, so why not ask the community my question. I'm looking for fullsize headphone open, closed, on ear, over ear etc etc.. which lean cool in tonality, I'd like them to be rather bright and hoping you guys can give me some options.

For a target of reference Sony MDR-V6 tonality is about spot on to my tastes, I would be looking at an upgrade from those. When I say bright I would prefer the mid range transparent and detailed, (think analytical). The price I'm willing to spend is $200 - $300.

What are my options and has been proven successful in that price region and signature?

Basically I want to gather a list so I can start researching them myself.

Dec 12, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #2 of 3
I'd consider the Sony monitors more mid forward than bright. Their treble is somewhat relaxed.

If you really like the MDR-V6, I'd look into the MDR-CD900st. It's like the v6, but with a greatly improved midrange and slightly improved bass.

Dec 12, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #3 of 3
If, sony, I would buy a used mdr cd2000 or mdr sa 3000/5000 from the headphone sell section of head-fi. These are very good phones,  you could have top-dogs for less than 200. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back