Looking for bookshelf speakers ~$300! What do you think of these?
May 6, 2013 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Jube

Head-Fier
I'm looking for new speakers to replace my Logitech Z-2300 2.1 computer speakers. 

These speakers would primarily serve as desktop speakers for near field listening. Maybe occasionally I would move them to the living room for some small kick backs. I listen to punk rock/ska, hip-hop, EDM, and some downtempo music.

As for sounds I like... I'm not a basshead. I love the sound signature of the HD600's. Even though they don't have lots of bass quantity, I like that they have good bass quality (tight, precise bass with an amp). M50's sound great, I like the bass, but the highs can be a bit piercing (sharp peak somewhere around 8k I think). I also have the Logitech UE6000's which have too much bass for my liking.

My price range is about 300. Some popular choices seem to be the 

M-Audio BX5 D2
Audioengine A5
Audioengine A5+

I know the A5+ are $400. If they are significantly better and worth the extra cost, I would make the leap. Otherwise I would prefer sticking closer to 300.

May 7, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #2 of 12
Apparently, the BX5 D2 are a VERY popular set of near field monitors for production purposes.  Last I heard, a friend of mine (finally) decided that they're the ones for him due to them being fairly ubiquitous these days - especially for electronic music production.  I haven't heard them yet.

While I've heard good things about the AudioEngine A5 series, I likewise have not heard them myself.  However, there is a site (which we are not allowed to link to) called Massdrop that has the A5+ on sale for $299 right now, if that ends up being the one you choose.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

May 7, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #3 of 12
Emotiva Airmotiv 4s. I think they have been seen going for around $300 lately. They lack deep bass, but are otherwise very clear-sounding with the ribbon tweeter.

May 8, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #4 of 12
Emotiva Airmotiv 4s. I think they have been seen going for around $300 lately. They lack deep bass, but are otherwise very clear-sounding with the ribbon tweeter.

+1

I heard these recently. Excellent 4" driver monitors. And if you want deep bass, you can always pair them with a subwoofer later on.

May 8, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #6 of 12
The Emotivas have a fairly neutral response with separate bass and treble EQ adjustments on the back so you can boost/lower them a little.

May 10, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #8 of 12
Great! Come back and update your post by sharing your impressions. So others looking for $300 speakers can see what you think :)

May 25, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #10 of 12
Went with the Emotiva Airmotiv 4's and I am very pleased. The bass is accurate and tight enough that it doesn't leave me craving more, just like the HD 600. The highs are beautiful. Clarity is great, the speakers allow me to enjoy the music without getting in the way. This has been a nice upgrade from my Logitech Z-2300's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back