Looking for binaurally recorded music
Mar 30, 2004 at 2:16 PM Post #2 of 18
this has been talked about many times, how about search with words like "binaural" and "cd" i just did it and came up with 5 pages of material. i will however recommend for about the tenth time "from the caves of the iron mountain" can be had from amazon or directly from papabear records.

Mar 30, 2004 at 2:23 PM Post #3 of 18
Thanks, I just ordered the Caves CD.

I know there are many search results, but mostly it's not music, just demos. And what's up with The Binaural Source site? It's been down for years now.

Mar 30, 2004 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 18
I have this CD :

B00003Q02G.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Strauss: Also sprach Zarathustra; Saint-Saens: Symphony No3
Composer: Richard Strauss, Camille Saint-Saens
Conductor: Jorge Mester
Performer: Hector Olivera
Label: Newport Classics - #10010
Audio CD (January 11, 2000)
ASIN: B00003Q02G

And can be found used on Amazon.com

The stereophile Test CD 3 also has binaural tracks to test headphones with.

http://www.stereophile.com/musicreco...24/index6.html

Mar 31, 2004 at 3:32 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Now if I could only find good crosstalk cancellation software so I can play these through speakers...

most likely sound way too artificial

There is a circuit that will allow stereo recordings to sound like binaural but again it is not the real deal

i think it is what they used for Stephan Kings "The Mist" (very cool BTW)

The point of a binaural recording is the omnidirectional microphones are placed in the "ears" of a "head" so the resulting directional cues will sound the same as if you were there.

some recordings are VERY convincing but some sound artificial

i have made binaural recordings using both a stand mounted head and with the mics attached to earbuds and the earbud method sounds more realistic

Maybe it is the added signal shading caused by my shoulders/body opposed to the simple "sphere" which while shading the head area signals still allows front to back leakage under the "head"

Just like the lack of dolby headphone encoded DVDs there is a lack of mainstream music Binaural recordings

Since it is really a "fringe" purchaser and there is no huge demand all you will ever see is the occasional small label /Unknown artist offerings

Mar 31, 2004 at 4:37 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Maybe it is the added signal shading caused by my shoulders/body opposed to the simple "sphere" which while shading the head area signals still allows front to back leakage under the "head"

It's mostly to do with the shape of the ears themselves. That's why generic HRTFs have limited effectiveness compared to a custom one for one's head, as even when good model heads are used, the ear shapes lack detail to make a good 'average' ear.

Quote:

most likely sound way too artificial

Where did you pull that from? Judging by some demo sound clips, it works exceedingly well. If you Google for "stereo dipole", the first site that comes up has some demo wavs; you position the two speakers very close together, so there's a roughly 10 degree angle with the listener at the vertex. The side to side imaging is amazing, though rear and up/down not as good, due to the use of a generic HRTF.

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:19 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Where did you pull that from? Judging by some demo sound clips, it works exceedingly well.

Missed that

"exeedingly well" until compared to the natural undoctored stereo version

no mathmatical approximation can ever be true to the original

be like comparing an MP3 ,even one at a high bit rate ,to the orignal wav file

close but not the same

any manipulation of an audio signal makes it something new and not what it was originally intended to be

but this is getting off topic so the rickmeister has to bounce

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:47 PM Post #14 of 18
You are way off base. I suggest taking a look at the applicable AES papers. This beats not just regular stereo, but any standard multi-speaker setup I've heard. Regular stereo simply sucks, otherwise we wouldn't have surround speaker systems in the first place! People keep talking about how this amplifier or speaker images, when in the end that's nothing compared to the difference recording method and playback speaker setup makes. All multiple speaker systems suffer from crosstalk, so the sound that arrives at the listener cannot possibly be what arrived in the recording microphones in the dummy head (what you say "it was originally intended to be"), and there are two ways to eliminate this, either a soundproof physical barrier between speakers, or a digital processing one. Only the latter is practical.
As for the stereo dipole, it's just a way to simplify the calculations and increase the size of the sweet spot, by putting the speakers close together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back