Looking for best jazz/classical/acoustic unamped headphones <150£/250$
Feb 9, 2011 at 6:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

blacknile

100+ Head-Fier

Hi! 
smile.gif

I own a separates hi-fi setup based on a Marantz CD6000OSE player, Rega Planar 3 TT and Creek Evolution 85W integrated amplifier. I love my setup, but as I mostly listen to music in the evening or at nighttime, I can't always enjoy it fully due to neighbours, etc.

Therefore I would like to complete it with decent  headphones and I would be grateful if you could give me some recommendation as the choice is overwhelming. My budget is 150£ maximum (although I could stretch it a bit should you have an argument for doing it). Not sure how this compares to USA prices though... Maybe around 250-280$ max?

So I would be interested in buying the best headphones relative to the set-up I already have: preferably, I would avoid for the moment the purchase of a dedicated headphone amp. I'll spend my budget on the best headphones I can get, see how it goes, and maybe get a dedicated amp later.

Things I will use the headphones for:
-listening to cds and lps off my hi fi
-listening to jazz, acoustic, classical, blues, fusion, some rock.
-listening alone in my room, so some sound leakage will not be a problem
-leave them in my room all the time, so not interested in portability

Things I will NOT use the headphones for:
-listening off my mp3 players/carrying them around
-listening off the soundcard in my computer
-listening to dance,heavy metal, electronica, etc
-watching movies/playing games etc
-isolating from environmental noise

I have to say I did order some Goldring DR150 some days ago. I quickly tried them on and kind of liked what I heard, although maybe the soundstage was a bit too "narrow" and close and the presentation a bit too "shouty" and punchy. However, I found the build quality appalling: they were brand new but the headband was full of bumps and creaky, so I quickly returned them for a refund.

Therefore I guess I would like to aim for something slightly better and more durable. Thanks!

Feb 9, 2011 at 6:35 AM Post #2 of 34
You're listening to much the same kind of music I am. If you are not going to amp your headphones, I suggest you try the audio technica ad900. It does not need an amp, it has an incredibly wide soundstage, it's very detailed and has great mids. The only drawback (for some people at least) is that it's relatively light on bass.

Feb 9, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #3 of 34
Hi there, thanks for that. What about the AT AD700? Are they comparable to those you mention? I'm not too fussy about bass really, as long as it's tight. Any other suggestions?

Feb 9, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 34
If you have access to a local store, check out the AKG K702. They are fantastic for jazz/classical.

They are notorious around here for needing a good amp, but quite honestly, even straight out of my iPhone, I haven't found anything else that matches them. A cheapo portable amp would even do the trick if you did need more power. A nice amp definitely tightens the bass and opens up their sound, but they by no means sound bad unamped.

Feb 9, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #5 of 34
Hey thanks! Unfortunately those are bit too expensive. What about the K601 from the same maker? Also what exactly do you lose using your AKG from an unamped source? Is it just loudness or something different (don't know, say different frequency response, duller presentation etc). Cheers!

Feb 9, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #6 of 34
I found they felt a little duller, with less bass, but still sounded very similar.

As for the K601, hopefully someone can say a word or two about them. I haven't heard them, but I know many people may prefer them over the K701.

Feb 9, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #7 of 34
The akg k701/k702 are dreadful for vocals and acoustic. Classical meh.
Sounds very unnatural and plasticky at times, even when properly driven.
The audio-technica entry cans aren't that rich in terms of vocals either.

Feb 9, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #9 of 34
Well let's just call it personal preference then. To my ears, the K701/K702 deliver natural sounding vocals, without sounding unnaturally warm like the HD600. 'Rich' vocals in this price bracket, to me, seems to equal too much mid-bass.

In the $250-350 price range, they're hard to beat for vocals.
Quote:
The akg k701/k702 are dreadful for vocals and acoustic. Classical meh.
Sounds very unnatural and plasticky at times, even when properly driven.
The audio-technica entry cans aren't that rich in terms of vocals either.

Feb 9, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #10 of 34
My take on the 70X falls somewhere between "dreadful" and"hard to beat" If I was using them for casual listening I'd return them and try the 601 or hd600. They sound too bright with a peak in the upper mids... and too pale and thin on some male vocals. But they're far from "dreadful", IMO. If you like VERY light and airy, they might be just what the doctor ordered

Feb 10, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #11 of 34
I'd never use the k701 unamped. It needs a good amp and it needs an amp with which it has synergy. I too briefly tried them straight out of the headphone out of my iPod, but they sounded like crap. Thin, volume was limited, too much sibilance. There are great phones if properly amplified. Otherwise, I'd just let them go.

As for the ad700: I don't like them nearly as much as the ad900, but there are a lot of people here who seem to think it is a good headphone for the price. I honestly wouldn't know, never had them myself and i only briefly auditioned them. The k601 or hd600 too need good amplifiers to sound right. I'd go with a low impedance can that does wel without amplification. usually that means an audio technica.

Feb 10, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #12 of 34
Hi, I'd like to recommend the Sennheiser 595's you can now get them for £129.00 from amazon alot cheaper than when I bought mine years ago. They are one step down from the 600's which were originaly designed for producers recording classical music. I listen to mostly classical and used the 595's for years before upgrading to the 650's. They have an airy, natural, refined sound and should sound decent enough from your Creek amp.     

Feb 10, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #13 of 34
Hi there, thank you all for your replies. AKG 701: way over my budget here in the UK. If you were on a tight budget and had to choose between cans in the AKG601/Senn 595/AT AD700 class?  I heard that Sennheiser HD595 can be found for something like 100£, would that make it a bargain?

Feb 10, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #15 of 34

Quote:
I'd never use the k701 unamped. It needs a good amp and it needs an amp with which it has synergy. I too briefly tried them straight out of the headphone out of my iPod, but they sounded like crap. Thin, volume was limited, too much sibilance. There are great phones if properly amplified. Otherwise, I'd just let them go.

As for the ad700: I don't like them nearly as much as the ad900, but there are a lot of people here who seem to think it is a good headphone for the price. I honestly wouldn't know, never had them myself and i only briefly auditioned them. The k601 or hd600 too need good amplifiers to sound right. I'd go with a low impedance can that does wel without amplification. usually that means an audio technica.

Exactly. Absolutely ridiculous when unamped. I remember preferring my then grado sr60s over them. That's how bad lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back