Looking for bassy headset under $200 with good soundstage
May 26, 2012 at 11:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

alduin

New Head-Fier
update!
I have now raised my budget to $300 and am looking for both a soundcard and headphones. Currently considering the Ultrasone Pro 550, with a Creative Titanium HD or the Asus Sonar DX. Thoughts?

original post:

So I am looking to buy a new set of headphones or a headset to replace my old broken Logitech G35. I will admit I don't know all that much about headphones and headsets, but I am trying to learn.

I will be using them equally for gaming, music, and movies. I don't have a sound card other than the RealTek one built into my Asus M4A89GTD. A mic would be nice, but it is not a must as its easy enough to add one. My price range is around $150, no more than $200.

So far I am considering the Corsair Vengeance 2000, which I can get for $135. The only thing that is putting me off of them is that I have read that you can get much better audiophile headphones for the same price range. So I looked into the ATH-AD700, which I have heard is very nice.

I am really just looking for the best positional accuracy/soundstage for gaming, and also good strong bass for music (I listen to lots of dubstep so this is important for me).

If anyone has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated!

May 26, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #2 of 14
The Ultrasone HFi-580's seem to fit your needs.

May 26, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #3 of 14
Thanks, those look pretty awesome. I will definitely consider them. Does any one else have some suggestions? Looking for a variety of choices and opinions I guess before I buy.

Also, should I just avoid any "gaming" headsets all together? (Logitech, Corsair, Razer, etc.)

May 26, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #4 of 14
I'd say Denon DN-HP700. The soundstage is exceptional for a closed / semi-closed design and it does have a noticable bass boost that is very good quality, to me it lacked somewhat in terms of bass extension but I'm extra picky, it's certainly not worse than HFI-580 in that regard. Some people have been praising it versus even other significantly expensier headphones including the Denon Dx000 lineup. It's great accurate balance in mids & highs, transparency and soundstage and bass response quality are excellent for the price.

It's more on-ear design though unless you have very small ears but the clamp is very gentle so it's not that uncomfortable other than if the ears would touch the driver casing.

Another good option would be Beyer DT770 Pro/80 but it would require at least a basic amp to get optimal results but it's bassy with great soundstage.

May 26, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #5 of 14
The V-Moda M80, DT990, Denon D2000 are great sounding cans and they offers good punchy bass with precise imaging, instruments sparation.

May 26, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #6 of 14
Thanks for the input. I guess I should have stated in the original post that over ear is a must, and that I don't plan on getting an amp. This is getting frustrating with all the choices out there :p.
Anyways, I just came across this thread at OCN. Seems like they are also suggesting the ad700 or a700 there. Does anyone here have an opinion on either of them?

also just realized there is a general recommendations thread. guess i missed that, sorry.

May 26, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #7 of 14
You said you wanted bassy, then you should leave out the Audio Technica AD700's especially as they are among the more basshy headphones around, A700 isn't much bassier despite it's closed version of it so I'd also skip that.

May 26, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #8 of 14
DT990 Pro... all the bass you can possibly want from an open headphone.

If you value your money, get a headphone + an external mic like the Antlion modmic. Headsets are **** in general.

May 27, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #9 of 14
For Bass, Gaming, and movies, I can whole heartily recommend the DT-990s.  However, the idea setup will probably be out of your price range.  Something like DT-990/250s with a Creative Titanium HD.  If you use game mode with CMSS, you will swear you have a surround sound system on your head.  Then you can switch the Titanium HD over to Entertainment mode for movies on your PC.  Audio creation mode with foobar2000 for some of the most amazing music you will ever hear.

It is important to note.  This will probably be your first experience with open back headphones and these create something called sound stage.  Not every sound stage is suitable for CMSS-3D, but I found the DT-990s to have excellent symmetry.  When things are behind you, they sound exactly behind you at the specific location you need for accuracy.  Also, the DT-990s have great bass for immersion with explosions, but more than enough accuracy and detail to hear the subtlety of footsteps.

The Titanium HD has a good amp to power the DT-990/250s well.  It would be an amazing jump into audiophile with a very versatile setup. Just to note, the Titanium HD can inject CMSS-3D through the optical out.  This allows an upgrade-ability.  Currently, I have the Titanium HD CMSS-3D -> Bifrost -> Asgard -> T1s for gaming.  This might not mean anything to you now, but it can be information for the future. 
biggrin.gif

I wish I could provide a more low cost alternative, but this particular setup is such a perfect match that I can't recommend anything to fit your exact needs. The cost is high, but the rewards would be astounding.

PS: Didn't want to provide such high cost w/o something helpful.  HD555s are super cheap now that the HD558's have replaced them.  They would work well.  I URGENTLY recommend you pick up a decent soundcard, as on board would destroy the benefit of an audiophile product.  If positional accuracy is important, a creative soundcard is recommended given the positional 3D emulation spoken about above.

May 29, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #10 of 14
Thanks again for all the opinions. Those DT-990s look quite awesome but they are a little pricey. I have change my mind and now decided that I will be getting a soundcard along with headphones. I know they haven't been suggested here yet, but I think the Ultrasone Pro 550 is my headphone of choice. I can get them for $145, so if there is anything out there less than $150 that would suit my needs better let me know!

As for the soundcard, I have been looking at either the Asus Sonar DX, which I can get for about $80, or the Titanium HD at $150. Would the Titanium really be worth the extra $70, and are there any other I should be considering? Remember I am about 50% music/movies and 50% gaming.

Basically I am raising my budget to $300 for both a soundcard and headphone.

May 29, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
Thanks again for all the opinions. Those DT-990s look quite awesome but they are a little pricey. I have change my mind and now decided that I will be getting a soundcard along with headphones. I know they haven't been suggested here yet, but I think the Ultrasone Pro 550 is my headphone of choice. I can get them for $145, so if there is anything out there less than $150 that would suit my needs better let me know!
As for the soundcard, I have been looking at either the Asus Sonar DX, which I can get for about $80, or the Titanium HD at $150. Would the Titanium really be worth the extra $70, and are there any other I should be considering? Remember I am about 50% music/movies and 50% gaming.

The Asus Xonar DX is a nice sound, except it's not that great at driving headphones.
If you added an external headphone amplifier to the Xonar DX, it's makes a great combo.

The Xonar DG (& DGX) comes with a half-way decent headphone amplifier and is cheaper.

If your into first person shooters or older games (5-years) then the Titanium HD might be more worth spending the extra cash.

May 29, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #12 of 14
Indeed the PRo versions have a nice soundstage for gaming..too bad you cant go for the AKG K550. 

May 29, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro + Fiio E10 USB DAC / Headphone Amp. Should be around $280 total. Think of the Fiio as a USB powered external soundcard. The advantage of using it is you're isolating the audio signal from the electrical noise inside your computer.

The DT770, 880, and 990 are possibly the most comfortable headphones in the world because of their velour pads which I love so much that I've rigged them onto my Grados. I cannot recommend them enough from a comfort perspective.

The DT770's fit the description of what you're asking for perfectly as well, sound-wise, and the E10 should drive them just fine.

Jun 18, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #14 of 14

The Titanium HD is one of the best sound cards out there. It has quite a good amp that can power many headphones. The important bit is that it has a better surround sound virtualization than Asus has. This dramatically improves your gaming and movie experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back