Looking for BASS and clarity, recommend me an IEM... <$200
Apr 28, 2013 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Increesingly2

New Head-Fier
Long story short I like bass. I have been struggling to find good earphones since forever... all I want is an IEM that will provide.

My short history:

1. I had 3 cheap pairs of Phillips SHE3570 which gave me somewhat what I was looking for, but being cheap they broke fast.
  2. Then I bought Beats by Dre Studios, which also - subject to piece of **** build quality - blew within 2 months.
  3. I also had a pair of Seinheiser headphones, that sounded ok, but sucked in comfortability and alround looks.

Out of the above, the Studios (regardless of their reputation), satisfied my taste in music where lows were the basic desire. Their size and sh***y quality is what screwed them.

So I have decided IEMs are the way to go, especially when I go to Uni and massive headphones are not the go.

On the note of looks, I want a pair that are available in white, and aren't going to be weird looking in my ears - basically portably acceptable.

Price Range= <$200

Thanks for the help everyone!

Thanks Everybody for the help, thank you so much - I have come to the conclusion that I will most likely buy the Yamaha EPH100...

If anybody thinks I'm making a bad choice please voice up, Thanks Alot!

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #3 of 20
First off - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-278-iems-compared-astrotec-am-800-dx-60-added-03-31-13-p-659#post_6492044

Still not sure of the discrepancies in term of sound preferences, signature (emphasis on these), genre, etc. And on the white thing that will be strangely limiting in terms of choices for such a (not going to trivialize your preferences but) small criteria. 

Genres are helpful but stating sound preferences/sig preferences would be immensely more helpful.

To re-quote an old post of mine - 
Frequency ranges and their relevance towards practical music listening - 

(Interactive version here - http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm)
Highs = treble
Lows = Bass
Among other technicalities - would give the glossary another read if you're still confused.

Genres are helpful, but we all like different presentations of our genres. Stating sound preferences would be immensely more helpful in the long run. You can find a nice list of terms in the H-F glossary, but would advise against picking and choosing any term that seems appealing because in the end they might really conflicts with one another.

Describing sound is difficult to get into at first, but it makes giving recommendation a much simpler job. Otherwise you have people throwing out random suggestions for the only things they've heard, without much specification on what you might actually be looking for. A massive medley of choices can be just as confusing despite however helpful it might seem at first.

Apr 29, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:
Try the JVC FXZ200. Bass is great while retaining the mids and highs.

Needs good burn-in though.

Cheapest I could find them was 270$ sadly...

Quote:
First off - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-278-iems-compared-astrotec-am-800-dx-60-added-03-31-13-p-659#post_6492044

Still not sure of the discrepancies in term of sound preferences, signature (emphasis on these), genre, etc. And on the white thing that will be strangely limiting in terms of choices for such a (not going to trivialize your preferences but) small criteria. 

I saw that "ask for advice" thread literally 5 minutes after I posted, so I wasn't really sure what I was supposed to do sorrrry. On the note of the whole white thing, I can settle for black, but I am looking for publicly usable earphones. I have Audio Technica MTH50s for home use and I just want some good-looking IEMs for public use.

On a note of my genre: I generally listen to Hip Hop and Trance; Lows and Highs... Mids can suffer for all I care 
very_evil_smiley.gif

If you have ever tried Studio Beats at exactly 70%, then you will know the sound I'm looking for (regardless of their performance in mids).
Quote:
VSonic GR07 Bass Edition...it's really that simple. Gonna be tough to find bass oriented headphones in white to be quite honest.

They are kind of ugly with the large cube based design, though they seem to be a great choice for at-home when my technica's break.

Apr 29, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #8 of 20
people usually buy the fxz200 from amazon japan then use forwarding services- around $200 total i think
the bass does tame over once burnt in

if you want a lot of bass, look at the sony xb90ex 

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:
I have seen them on ebay for $230 and less including shipping. Have a look there and also cdjapan.

To Australia, cheapest is $240 which still kinda sucks coz $200 was basically my upper limit. Next time maybe, or when I'm rich.... :frowning2:

Quote:
people usually buy the fxz200 from amazon japan then use forwarding services- around $200 total i think
the bass does tame over once burnt in

if you want a lot of bass, look at the sony xb90ex 

Ok checked them both, reviews seem to reflect the kind of sound I'm seeking but the only problem is that they are protruding. As in, they are quite big from outside the ear. Sorry if I didn't explain properly, but size-wise I want a small-but-powerful pair.

Forgive me if I sound a little hung up on the looks (and size) side of things, but I've got enough at-home headphones + speakers; I'm not just putting looks over quality; it's just that in public, its a different ball game.

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #10 of 20
Check out Yamaha EPH-100, you can get them for $99 In Australia, have a read up on their signature, they have the bass and clarity you want, are small too.

I'm on my phone but cannot
Link to where we get them In Oz for $99 right now, but if you want that link PM me I'll sort it In the morning.

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #11 of 20
The Denon C300 are most bassy IEMs i ever heard and they offers overall very crisp clear soundquality and fairly wide soundstage. The other IEMs are like UE SF5EB, Sony XB90EX, MTP Gold, Klipsch Image X10 and JVC FX100 are pretty good bassy IEMs for the price.

Apr 29, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #12 of 20
Well, you should try the sony xba 4, they have really high treble, and lots of bass, and people complain about the mids being very very far in the back.  They should be in the $150 price range, although someone posted he got'em for $99 earlier.

I got the xba 40's which have good deep bass, the only problem with them that might matter to you is that they hit their bass limit at high volumes.  It sounds like the armarture are hitting the edges because of too much movement, which could be a fatal flaw of the BA drivers in general, or just the xba's in general.  I don't know because they are the only BA iems I have atm.

Then again, the xba series doesn't seem to be very popular.  Maybe there is a reason why.

Apr 30, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:
Check out Yamaha EPH-100, you can get them for $99 In Australia, have a read up on their signature, they have the bass and clarity you want, are small too.

I'm on my phone but cannot
Link to where we get them In Oz for $99 right now, but if you want that link PM me I'll sort it In the morning.

This pair seems to be good, I can't find that price anywhere though. I'll PM u now :)
On a note of the earphones themselves, do they protrude from the head? And do they isolate well?

Quote:
The Denon C300 are most bassy IEMs i ever heard and they offers overall very crisp clear soundquality and fairly wide soundstage. The other IEMs are like UE SF5EB, Sony XB90EX, MTP Gold, Klipsch Image X10 and JVC FX100 are pretty good bassy IEMs for the price.

I have seen all these before (except Turbine Coppers) and they all are too sizey for public use. The Turbine Coppers look awesome and compact but the price is revoltingly unwelcoming. :S

EDIT: JUST realised Coppers were different to standard Turbines ($200 different)..... So are these MTB's the real deal, because they seem to be compact, fashionable and most importantly suited to my taste............ Similar to the EPH-100, just a bit more compact. 
atsmile.gif

Quote:
Well, you should try the sony xba 4, they have really high treble, and lots of bass, and people complain about the mids being very very far in the back.  They should be in the $150 price range, although someone posted he got'em for $99 earlier.

I got the xba 40's which have good deep bass, the only problem with them that might matter to you is that they hit their bass limit at high volumes.  It sounds like the armarture are hitting the edges because of too much movement, which could be a fatal flaw of the BA drivers in general, or just the xba's in general.  I don't know because they are the only BA iems I have atm.

Then again, the xba series doesn't seem to be very popular.  Maybe there is a reason why.

Like most Sonys they are too sizey, call me a complainer but they are more suitable for home use 
L3000.gif

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #15 of 20
Ok reading up some reviews, I'm now lost again.

Apparantly, both Yamaha-EPH100 and Turbines suit my taste.... But Turbines are heavy pieces of **** that fall out of your ears and protrude - making them a stupid choice for walking around University..... Is this the same with Yamaha-EPH100?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back