Looking for balanced amp suggestions
Nov 30, 2008 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

GeoD

100+ Head-Fier
I'm pretty new to head-fi, but quickly caught the bug. As of now I only have my Denon AH-D2000's but I have a bunch of things already on order waiting for their arrival.

HeadAmp Pico - Just waiting on Justin to ship. Hopefully see it this coming week, he said it should ship this past week, but I haven't received any updates.

Jena Labs 22g re-cable to balanced 3 pin xlr, with a balanced to 1/8th adapter to use with the Pico. This has already been shipped, expecting it early this week. Here's a pic I got from Lil' Knight when he completed the cable:

3066734829_8abc933672.jpg

Already talked to Lawton Audio about some wooden cups and the markl mod, that's my next step.

I work remotely, so I wanted to start with a decent portable gig I can use with my laptop without lugging a ton of stuff around. My listening tastes are trance with lots of female vocals, industrial, and electronica primarily. I'm hoping I'll be pleased with the Pico and modded D2k's for when I'm at work. Next step is to tackle the home rig.

I'm open to ideas, but would like to definitely go balanced, fully balanced eventually so keep that in mind with any recommendations. So far I've been very pleased with my decisions so far as this is my first attempt at higher quality audio equipment. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, I don't have a budget so to speak, as I'm in no rush to go for this next upgrade, and will happen sometime in '09.

Make my D2k's scream please
smily_headphones1.gif

Kind regards,

George

Nov 30, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinvisionm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RSA Apache looked sexy. There's one for sale in the forum.

I was looking at this the other night on the RSA website, I'll have to check out the FS thread on here. I must say I was impressed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there is also a b52, and a supra-XLR

I will have to look into these, I just started my home amp research. So far the one that grabbed my attention the most was the b22. Is the b52 a big brother?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Is it safe to say that for a decent balanced amp I'm looking around the $1500 - $3000 range? I'm hoping to keep it capped at $3k.

Cheers,

George

Nov 30, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #6 of 12
I believe the B52 is another RSA amp,
the B22 (with the beta thingy) is DIY

Dec 1, 2008 at 11:05 AM Post #8 of 12
So here is a tentative list :

- RSA amps (B52, Apache)
- DIY (B22)
- HR (Balanced amp line)
- RudiStor (NX-33, RPX-100, etc...)
- Little Dot (MKVI don't forget that one, very recently launched)
- TTVJ (Millet 307A)

Any other constructor we should consider ?

Thanks

Dec 1, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So here is a tentative list :

- RSA amps (B52, Apache)
- DIY (B22)
- HR (Balanced amp line)
- RudiStor (NX-33, RPX-100, etc...)
- Little Dot (MKVI don't forget that one, very recently launched)
- TTVJ (Millet 307A)

Any other constructor we should consider ?

Thanks

The following should also be on the list :

- Rudistor RP010B
- Headamp GS-X
- Eddie Current Balancing Act ( taking orders now)
- Singlepower higher ends

F. Lo

Dec 1, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headroom company is well known for their balanced amps. You could consider them. They are very reliable and the service is good.

x2

I had the HR balanced desktop and it done a fine job with the D2000's bigger brother the D5K
darthsmile.gif

Dec 1, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #11 of 12
+1 on the β22.

A really stunning amplifier, which can be built fully balanced.

Dec 1, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #12 of 12
To OP, judging from your budget I trust that you've committed some time to research. Amps can make or break your system so make sure you know what type of sound you're looking for (tubey+laid back, or neutral and revealing, or punchy dynamics, etc). If you've been around audio equipment I'm sure you know all about equipment synergy.

Also, if you're going to buy it used, make damn sure you clarify with the seller the condition of the amp you're getting, which hopefully has been problem-free for the seller (and previous owners if applicable); if the amp has any past mechanical issues buy at your own risk. I don't want you to have an x-thousand dollar paper weight come the New Year's break (should you decide to buy one asap).

Anyways whatever you choose to get, I hope you will your enjoy your amp
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back