Looking for another Beyer DT990 sounding can but less than 100 ohms (aka better suited for SS amp)
Jan 18, 2011 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

LiqTenExp

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,

I am looking for a set of headphones to rock out at work with and I have a SS amp there (Music Fidelity X-Can V8).  I can barely drive the Beyers (DT990 600 ohm)  and find myself at 3/4 or so volume when I'm enjoying them.

I am a big fan of the in your face fun sound they have with the big full bottom end thats not sloppy and mellow top end.  I like the size of the over-ear pieces on the Beyer, soft velor, long cord, and reasonable clamping force.

Any suggestions?  Just an FYI, I'm not a fan of HD595/600/650 and K701/702.  Closed or Open are ok, thought I might be interested in trying out a set of closed for work.

Price range is sub 300 dollars or so.  I would even go used if they were in great shape.

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #2 of 22
Just throwing this out there, but have you considered the 32 or 250 ohm version of the 990?

Jan 19, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #4 of 22
Those Ultrasone pro 900 look like a definite possibility.  I had not explored that company's headphones at all.  The graphs look like they are my style when comparing them to the DT990 using headrooms graphs.  Thanks for pointing them out!

Jan 19, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #5 of 22
No problem, theres a large thread around here concerning the PRO900's, and many have falled in love with the sound. In comparison to HD650 (Even HD800 I believe?), D5000, and Beyer DT990, I believe the ultrasones surpasaed all (from what I read). They reportedly have an amazing low end without sacrificing any quality on highs/mids. Their soundstage is also claimed to be amazingly wide.

Only thing im not certain of is sound leak. Ive owned a pair of PRO550's, and they leaked too much sound for me.

Edit: forgot to mention, many have been getting great deals from 'Buy Authorized' on eBay on these cans for 349 i believe.

Jan 19, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 22
This might sound stupid, but do you like the sound of your Beyers at that volume?  My SS amp needs to be turned to almost 3:00 for most of my cans, but it sounds fantastic at that volume.  It often depends on whether the volume is linear or logarithmic as well.

I dunno, it just seems silly to me to go buying new headphones that you might not like as well.  The 990/600 is a great pair of headphones, and although I agree that it prefers tubes, I certainly enjoy it from an SS amp turned up sometimes as well.

Jan 22, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #7 of 22

Quote:
Ultrasone PRO900 might be a good choice?

+1.  Just be careful of your immediate reaction.  If you hold onto it, it can ruin your experience of these headphones.  They are different.  If you give yourself time, they might become what they are to us!  
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #8 of 22

Quote:
Hey,

I am looking for a set of headphones to rock out at work with and I have a SS amp there (Music Fidelity X-Can V8).  I can barely drive the Beyers (DT990 600 ohm)  and find myself at 3/4 or so volume when I'm enjoying them.

If you really like the DT990/600, why not look for an amplifier that´s built for high resistance phones, like an OTL amplifier?
The X-CAN V8 is performing its best with low resistance phones (about 1,7 W / 32 ohm, as far as I remember). But if you prefer keeping the amplifier, a good combination with the V8 is the Denon D-series.

Jan 22, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #9 of 22
I have one at home, LD MKIII.

I am using the Music Fidelity X-Can because I am borrowing it from a friend at work and it has a built in DAC I can connect easily to my work computer.

Another reason I really like the idea of the pro900 is that they are closed.  This would be great at work so I don't disturb anyone.

Jan 28, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #15 of 22
The DT-990/600 sounds AMAZING with E7/E9.  However, your opinion of the 780 compared to the 990 should be great!  Look forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back