Looking for an upgrade.
Nov 15, 2016 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

agmoss15

New Head-Fier
Right now, I own a pair of Sony MDR V6 headphones, and I'm fairly happy with them, but the non-removable cable is a bit annoying, as I use them for mobile use as well as gaming and listening to music on my PC. I was wondering if there was a pair of headphones someone would recommend as a replacement/upgrade that would be well worth my money, instead of being a lateral move in sound quality for almost double the price of my MDR V6s just to get a removable cable. Preferably, I would like them to be close-backed. (I know this is a lot to consider, as I've already tried a ton of research on my own.)

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #2 of 19
Budget?

I treplaced my MDR-V6 with the Audio Technica ATH-ESW9
I think the ATH-ESW9A is the version more available in the USA.

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 19
  Right now, I own a pair of Sony MDR V6 headphones, and I'm fairly happy with them, but the non-removable cable is a bit annoying, as I use them for mobile use as well as gaming and listening to music on my PC. I was wondering if there was a pair of headphones someone would recommend as a replacement/upgrade that would be well worth my money, instead of being a lateral move in sound quality for almost double the price of my MDR V6s just to get a removable cable. Preferably, I would like them to be close-backed. (I know this is a lot to consider, as I've already tried a ton of research on my own.)

Give us more information. What types of music do you listen to? Which sources do you plan to use the headphones with? I guess you want something neutral sounding like the V6, and not something with extra bass? I used the Sony V6 for over 25 years. Having a removable cable isn't that helpful if a spare cable is expensive. I guess you want something under $100? I haven't bought any closed circumaural(around the ears) headphones in a long time since they make my ears uncomfortably hot. That is why I gave away the Sony V6s I had. The V6 also didn't have as much midrange detail as I wanted.

The Audio Technica ATHM50x is very popular here, and is sometimes on sale for $100 for black Friday. I haven't heard it, however it has gotten excellent reviews. Another very popular choice here is the Sennheiser HD380 pro. I have never seen it for $100 though. I haven't heard it either.

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 19
My budget is in the < $250 range. So far, I've looked at the AKG K545, the Sennheiser HD 569, and the Shure SRH840. All three seem to be the kind of headphone I'm looking for, I just need to know if any of them are truly worth it in the sense of a sound quality upgrade.

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 19

Give us more information. What types of music do you listen to? Which sources do you plan to use the headphones with? I guess you want something neutral sounding like the V6, and not something with extra bass? I used the Sony V6 for over 25 years. Having a removable cable isn't that helpful if a spare cable is expensive. I guess you want something under $100? I haven't bought any closed circumaural(around the ears) headphones in a long time since they make my ears uncomfortably hot. That is why I gave away the Sony V6s I had. The V6 also didn't have as much midrange detail as I wanted.

The Audio Technica ATHM50x is very popular here, and is sometimes on sale for $100 for black Friday. I haven't heard it, however it has gotten excellent reviews. Another very popular choice here is the Sennheiser HD380 pro. I have never seen it for $100 though. I haven't heard it either.

Right now, my main source of listening is through my phone and my PC. I listen to an extremely wide range, from heavy metal to EDM. (Just about anything but country). The HD 380 is appealing to me, but it seems to be too much of a lateral move in sound quality based on reviews, as do the ATH M50x.

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 19
I forgot to mention that yes, I am looking for a natural balanced sound, no extra bass or anything of the sort. Right now, the V6 seems mildly lacking in bass, but messing with EQ adds too much in the low end. Something similar is what I was looking for though.

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #7 of 19

The Sony MDR-V6 are really more for audio monitoring, then music enjoyment.
So it not that hard to find headphones you find more "enjoyable".

Check out the Soundmagic HP150 headphones.

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #8 of 19
  Budget?

I treplaced my MDR-V6 with the Audio Technica ATH-ESW9
I think the ATH-ESW9A is the version more available in the USA.

Those look interesting, however I don't see anything about a detachable cable.

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #9 of 19

The Sony MDR-V6 are really more for audio monitoring, then music enjoyment.
So it not that hard to find headphones you find more "enjoyable".

Check out the Soundmagic HP150 headphones.

These have piqued my interest, especially being on sale for $120 on Amazon right now.

I am still open to suggestions though, as i am going to wait a few days before I buy anything.

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #10 of 19
The problem with the SoundMAGIC HP150 is that after reading more reviews, build quality seems sketchy, and the idea of a proprietary cable is concerning as well. I'd prefer to be able to use any cable I please.

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #11 of 19

Those look interesting, however I don't see anything about a detachable cable.

The cable is detachable.

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #12 of 19
  The problem with the SoundMAGIC HP150 is that after reading more reviews, build quality seems sketchy, and the idea of a proprietary cable is concerning as well. I'd prefer to be able to use any cable I please.

How many headphones do you know of that have a detachable cable that is not proprietary?

Nov 15, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #14 of 19
  All of the headphones that i listed that i was interested in had a standard cable....

Sennheiser headphone cables use a custom locking thingy.
(but lots of third parties offer replacement cables on eBay)

The AKG looks standard, still checking out the Shures.

Nov 15, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #15 of 19
There are many different terminations on headphone cables you will not be able to use any you please. HD 650 HD 700 and HD 800 use a different connectors for each and they are the same brand. HiFiMan uses two different ones . Mr Speakers uses one no one else uses. The HD 700 will work with my 400S's but my connectors broke on the 400S and replaced with different connectors that will work on the 700's not for sure the OEM's will. So no all in one cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back