Looking for an upgrade - all suggestions welcome - to current computer audio set-up
Jul 17, 2012 at 3:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ColesSmartBuy

New Head-Fier
My current (main) set-up is as follows:

Foobar (Lossless FLAC) >to> Toshiba Portege R830 (laptop, certain motherboard audio) >to> laptop headphone jack >to> generic 3.5mm to 2xRCA cable (came with speakers) >to> M-Audio Studiophile AV30 

Depending on situation, chain may look like:

Foobar (Lossless FLAC) >to> Toshiba Portege R830 (laptop, certain motherboard audio) >to> laptop headphone jack >to> Sennheiser HD518 (stock cable with adapter)

or

Foobar (Lossless FLAC) >to> Toshiba Portege R830 (laptop, certain motherboard audio) >to> laptop headphone jack >to> generic 3.5mm to 2xRCA cable (came with speakers) >to> M-Audio Studiophile AV30 >to> Sennheiser HD 518 (stock cable with adapter, plugged into speaker's headphone output)

Would anyone kindly help me with any suggestions on how to improve my current audio set-up?

I listen to mainly Pink Floyd (entire collection), Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Classical (including, but not limited to: guitar, strings, orchestra, choral work, piano, organ), Daft Punk, The Chemical Brothers, The Beatles, The Eagles and Dire Straits.

If you have any options that will not cover this spectrum, please share them as well.

My main interest is in rock music, if a specific genre is required.

I am not interested in large amounts of bass.

I am a student, residing in Australia, so excessively large gear is not an option, but suggestions are always welcome for when I return home.

I do have a budget of AUD$150 (USD$150), although I am looking for value around that point, so if there is an upgrade that is better value for a price greater than AUD$150 (USD$150), that would also be welcome.

Thank you for any assistance with this matter.

Jul 17, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #2 of 21
Quote:
My current (main) set-up is as follows:
Foobar (Lossless FLAC) >to> Toshiba Portege R830 (laptop, certain motherboard audio) >to> laptop headphone jack >to> generic 3.5mm to 2xRCA cable (came with speakers) >to> M-Audio Studiophile AV30 
Depending on situation, chain may look like:
Foobar (Lossless FLAC) >to> Toshiba Portege R830 (laptop, certain motherboard audio) >to> laptop headphone jack >to> Sennheiser HD518 (stock cable with adapter)

Foobar (Lossless FLAC) >to> Toshiba Portege R830 (laptop, certain motherboard audio) >to> laptop headphone jack >to> generic 3.5mm to 2xRCA cable (came with speakers) >to> M-Audio Studiophile AV30 >to> Sennheiser HD 518 (stock cable with adapter, plugged into speaker's headphone output)

Would anyone kindly help me with any suggestions on how to improve my current audio set-up?

I listen to mainly Pink Floyd (entire collection), Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Classical (including, but not limited to: guitar, strings, orchestra, choral work, piano, organ), Daft Punk, The Chemical Brothers, The Beatles, The Eagles and Dire Straits.

If you have any options that will not cover this spectrum, please share them as well.
My main interest is in rock music, if a specific genre is required.
I am not interested in large amounts of bass.
I am a student, residing in Australia, so excessively large gear is not an option, but suggestions are always welcome for when I return home.
I do have a budget of AUD$150 (USD$150), although I am looking for value around that point, so if there is an upgrade that is better value for a price greater than AUD$150 (USD$150), that would also be welcome.

I'm guessing your laptop comes with a very low cost DAC (Digital to Analog Converter).
So something like an external USB DAC headphone amplifier that also comes with a line-out (for your speakers).
Do a search on eBay for "USB DAC Headphone amplifier", some of them do come with line-outs and pre-outs.
See what fits your budget.
Something just over your budget, the SMSL SD-650.

Jul 31, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #4 of 21
While I realise that this thread is now lost, I have discovered several upgrade solutions myself.

Could anyone please inform me of the performance/value/other aspects, but most importantly, improvement over my current set-up that these upgrade options may have?

Maverick Audio D1 DAC
Audioengine D1 DAC

I realise that I have completely demolished my previous budget, but after much, much researching, it appears that I will not be able to get a noticeable increase in sound quality at my previous budget of USD$150.

Could anyone please suggest to me further improvements to my current set-up within a new budget of USD$220?

Thank you all for any advice that you can give me on this topic.

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #5 of 21
Man, I love your username. Cracks me up. 

For a budget DAC, I can think of the Nuforce uDac-2.

Comes with two RCA line outputs you can use with your studio monitors and a front headphone 1/8" to use with your HD518s.

See if you can visit a headphones boutique store to try some stuff out. 

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #6 of 21
Thank you for your response,

I have been interested in the NuForce, although NwAvGuy does not make it seem worthwhile.

It does have all the features that I am interested in, those being:
RCA Line Out
USB In
Headphone Volume controlled Out

While I will not be able to try it out (no access to a store), I will research it online.

Thanks.

Aug 5, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #7 of 21
Would anyone be able to impart their advice as to which DAC to choose?

I am currently deciding between:
Maverick Audio D1
Audioengine D1

Or, in another budget category (But the above category would be preferred):
NuForce uDAC2
Audinst HUD-Mini
Audiotrak Prodigy Cube

A response that covers a comparison would be greatly appreciated, as I am already fully aware of the benefits and drawbacks of each model.

Thanks.

Aug 8, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:
Would anyone be able to impart their advice as to which DAC to choose?

I am currently deciding between:
Maverick Audio D1
Audioengine D1

Or, in another budget category (But the above category would be preferred):
NuForce uDAC2
Audinst HUD-Mini
Audiotrak Prodigy Cube

A response that covers a comparison would be greatly appreciated, as I am already fully aware of the benefits and drawbacks of each model.

Thanks.

Your original budget can get you a better sound than your headphone jack on your laptop.  See my review of HRT Headstreamer on my blog.

Aug 11, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #9 of 21
Thank you for your response.

I have looked into your suggestion, and although it does appear to be a good product, it does not seem to suit my needs.

Ideally, if I was going to purchase a DAC, I would purchase one which had a volume control for the headphone out and a line-out output for my speakers.

Your suggestion was most welcome, and I will still have to research into all the upgrade possibilities.

Thanks.

Aug 11, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #10 of 21
Thank you for your reply.

The Prodigy Cube did seem to be an appealing option, but I was hesitant in purchasing it as I was (and am still) unsure as to the sound quality of it.

Would you be able to enlighten me as to the audio quality of the Prodigy Cube? Will it be noticeably 'better' than my current onboard sound?

Also, regarding the speakers, I am looking to upgrade to powered monitor pairs, but would you be able to aid me in choosing the correct ones?

So far I have been following this thread's advice: http://www.head-fi.org/t/599255/wanna-transform-the-audio-capability-of-your-sad-tired-computer-if-youve-got-500-heres-how#post_8215766

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Aug 11, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #11 of 21
You can try the fiio e9/e7 combo. It is a DAC and Desktop AMP combo plus the E7 is also a portable AMP that works every well. It should be around 180$

Aug 11, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #12 of 21
Thank you for your prompt response.

I was seriously considering that option, but I thought that I may achieve better performance within the same price range with the Audioenigne D1.

Could you please advise me as to whether the e7 and e9 combo will offer a significant improvement to my current situation?

If it helps, I have also recently acquired a pair of Grado SR80i headphones, and I spend equal time between listening to them and my Sennheiser HD 518s.

Thank you for your response and help on this topic.

Aug 11, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #13 of 21
Since your following a thread started by a banned former member and a northwesterner who is also banned here, why don't you combine the recs of those two and grab yourself a Behringer UC-222 for a dac and cheap amp.

Aug 11, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #15 of 21
Thank you for your response, although I don't understand some parts of it.

I did realise that the member was banned, but I assumed that it wasn't for that thread, as I believed that he had posted some information that seemed reasonable to me.

Regarding the 'northwestener' part of your response, could you please explain that to me?

Finally, would you be able to advise me as to the quality of the UCA-222? It seems rather cheap compared to my budget, but if you believe that it a worthwhile 'value' product then I will look into it.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back