Looking for an amp to go with DAC1
Jul 25, 2008 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

compuryan

1000+ Head-Fier
I just got my Benchmark DAC1 w/ Pro Mods and the sound is just a little lifeless straight from the headphone out jack. I am going to buy a separate amplifier, a tube amp.

I will probably buy used, I am looking at:

Little Dot MKIVSE
Woo Audio 3
X-CAN V3
Woo Audio 6 (maybe)

any other suggestions? Also, just how good is the WA6? Would it be worth the extra money?

Thanks

Jul 26, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #3 of 16
Heh, I hope posting in my thread didn't bring you to this decision.

I'll be very interested in this since you own HD650's. Why tube over solid state?

Jul 26, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #4 of 16
WA6 gets my vote.....
smily_headphones1.gif

What's the max budget compuryan ?

Peete.

Jul 27, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #5 of 16
I don't think that you can go wrong with the WA3 or WA6. I used to absolutely love my OTL driven 650's, and 600's for that matter. Albeit, different tubes, but the Senn HD600/650 really open up with a good OTL amp. On that note, for a budget minded purchase, I'd say to go with the WA3 and use some of the savings to tube roll a little. If you want transformer output, then WA6 over the X-CAN.

Jul 27, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #6 of 16
Hmmm. Someone is also selling a glow amp one in the fs forums here... Anyone had any experience with the Glow Amp One?

My budget I would like to keep under $500

Orcin, posting in your thread didn't influence my decision. I had been considering adding a tube amp to my dac1 setup before I even got my dac1. I had heard that warm and fuzzy tube amps paired well with the somewhat harsh, detailed, and revealing DAC1.

Jul 27, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #7 of 16
Woo Audio lll works really really well to warm the sound to my ears. Thats my vote.

Jul 27, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #8 of 16
I can't comment on the Glow amp, but there is a monster of a thread on it with tons of good information. For the price, considering that you won't need the Glow's DAC function, and assuming that you won't be driving efficient speakers, I'd stick with one of the Woo amps.

Jul 28, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #9 of 16
Thanks for all your help. I think I am going to get a Woo Audio 3 as soon as I get my money together. Then again, knowing me I'll scrounge up a couple more hundred dollars and spring for a WA6. Only time will tell.

Jul 28, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all your help. I think I am going to get a Woo Audio 3 as soon as I get my money together. Then again, knowing me I'll scrounge up a couple more hundred dollars and spring for a WA6. Only time will tell.

I do not have any specific to say about those amps, but do it once, do it right.

Save.

Jul 28, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #11 of 16
Try the balanced-outs on the back of the Benchmark. Many Senn fans have reported good to great results that way.

You will need at least a 1/4"->XLR connection that you can assemble with off-the-shelf parts from Sweetwater or the like. That's the cheapest way to try it. Better would be to take a stock Senn cable, cut the 1/4" plug off and solder on two XLR connectors. Best is to use a balanced XLR cable from one of the aftermarket makers.

Start with the first method. If you hear beneficial results, work your way up.

Jul 31, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #12 of 16
I have been doing some thinking. I've heard this amps is really big bang for $.

How do you guys think the Little Dot MKV would sound with my DAC1?

Aug 1, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Pay attention to jpelg telling you to try getting a balanced cable for your HD650 to use with DAC1. This should give you better results than trying to go up the line with single-ended amps.

Aug 1, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #14 of 16
Just FYI:
I noticed a WA-3 in the for sale section on headfi today in the $300's. I almost bought it myself.

Aug 8, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

If memory serves, the Little Dot MK V is more dry and analytical (I love that amp, by the way), but it won't be the best paring with your DAC1, which is also a bit dry and analytical. It's about balance, the MK V might be a great pair with a tube DAC, but with your DAC1, you're going to want something warmer. The Little Dot MK V really is a phenomenal SS amp for the price though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back