Looking for an amp for computer use under $150
Jun 11, 2005 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ropeadope

100+ Head-Fier
I recently tested out my HD-555s with an amp (which i sold) and it improved the quality of the sound nicely, to my surprise. Now I'm ampless and want to try another soon. $150 would be my max to spend, don't necessarily want to spend that much, but that's the max i'll go. Around $100 sounds better.

Mainly what i'm looking for is an amp just for my computer, so it doesn't need to be portable at all. I listen to lots of music on here. I also game a lot, if that matters. I also want it to have a 1/4" output, and a 1/8" input, and i need it to be able to run on a power supply, like a 24v Elpac or Wallwart (either of which i don't have now either), so i hope i helped narrow down the search a bit.

I know there have been a lot of these types of threads lately, but that's what this forum is for, right?
tongue.gif
- I don't know much about amps so if yous could give me some recommendations that'd help a lot. Either way i'll keep lurking the Sell/Trade forum - Thanks for reading.

Jun 11, 2005 at 11:14 PM Post #2 of 16
Shellbrook Labs Super Maxi Moy $125
HeadRoom AirHead $150
and of course PocketAmp2 version 2 $60

You're gonna have a hard time finding 1/4" output at under $150. Personally, if I could afford it, i'd go with the Maxi Moy. It has dual op-amps and comes in a very nice aluminum case. If you want to spend the least amount of money, the PocketAmp2 is great. It comes with an AC adapter and uses NiMH batteries, so it can still be portable. Plus its quality is great, even at it's low price.

Jun 12, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #4 of 16
The Maxi Moy looks pretty nice (as far as i can tell
tongue.gif
) any idea how it would pair with the HD-555s? The amp i had before had an AD8620 opamp, and i liked it pretty well, how does that compare to the Burr Brown OPA-227? I see it has both In and Out right at the front of the amp, is that common? It seems a little weird to me. Plus it looks like the in/out is the same size.

Is the Super Maxi Moy the one for $125 here?, it doesn't say Super Maxi Moy, it just says Maxi Moy.

Thanks for the recommendations. Sorry for all the questions
eggosmile.gif

Jun 12, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #5 of 16
You might also try a presonus HP4, yeah I know its pro-audio and doesn't use great parts, but for the money it compared very well to the cmoy/meta42/pimeta amps I've used.

Jun 12, 2005 at 9:47 AM Post #7 of 16
I need the options listed above.

Should i be looking for a certain op amp? I'm totally clueless. There are all kinds... i'm trying to find out how the OPA227 is, but it's hard to find any info on it. Like i said i had a AD8620 before, and liked it pretty well. Would dual OPA227s be a downgrade from the AD8620? Any help is a lot of help for me, so help if you can, thanks.

Jun 13, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #9 of 16
Yeah i guess, i could always buy some adapters too i suppose. Though i don't think my 555s work well with 1/8" adapters.

Anyone have any clue about the opamps? Or do they just not matter much?

Jun 28, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #12 of 16
I'm using HD555s with my Go-Vibe v2 with the AD8066 opamp. I think they sound great. I hear a nice improvement in highs, lows and overall impact of the sound. The Go-Vibe is a great inexpensive amp and can be very versatile with its socketed opamps. When using the AD8066, you'll have a more agressive, upfront amp that will complement the HD555s laidback nature. The Go-Vibe can also be made to support a wall wart with http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=273%2D1745 and http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=273%2D1773.

Using the 1/4" to 1/8" isn't a big deal. You won't hear any loss in sound quality and unless you'll be walking around with this setup (I doubt anyone would), the big adapter shouldn't be a problem. If the rigid adapter that comes with your HD555s is still a concern for you, get this http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail...ct_prod=092595 a floppy 1/4" to 1/8" adapter.

Jul 2, 2005 at 4:46 AM Post #13 of 16
Thanks for that recommendation. The Go-Vibe doesn't look like what I had in mind. Though I'm still feeling the loss of no headphone amp, and want to get one real soon. Nothing of much interest has poppep up in the buy/sell forum lately.

Jul 2, 2005 at 5:10 AM Post #14 of 16
would building a MINT or PIMETA be out of the question?

easily under 100 and you can custom it as much as you want

Jul 2, 2005 at 6:13 AM Post #15 of 16
Ehhh, well i have always wanted to learn to solder, a headphone amp probably wouldn't be the best way to start though, but for now building an amp is pretty much out of the question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back