1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for amp for HD800

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by jarmel, May 4, 2009.
Next

Last
  1. Jarmel
    I currently don't have a home amp(spent most of my money on a portable rig) and so was looking for a home amp to somewhat drive the HD800s. Budget is around 500 but please god no more than 1000.

2. Lil' Knight
    How can people suggest you something when they even haven't heard the phones?

3. Jarmel
    I know some people have heard the phones. Also just based off of the HD650(I'm aware that the HD800 is supposed to be another beast altogether) and the characteristics and impressions of the HD800. I pretty much just want a guess, I'm fully aware that a very large majority of people have not heard the phones.

4. glitch39
    amp with lots of power and lots of headroom. not to make it sound loud but mostly for dynamics during difficult music passages. I have a few good ones to name and they DO work very well with the HD650. but your $500 mark is tough.

5. Jarmel
    Just try and keep it under 1k and it should be fine. Thanks for the help.

6. Donald North Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarmel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I currently don't have a home amp(spent most of my money on a portable rig) and so was looking for a home amp to somewhat drive the HD800s. Budget is around 500 but please god no more than 1000.

If you're willing to spend the $$$ for the HD800s, why not power them with a similar caliber amplifier so you can hear them at their fullest potential?

7. Jarmel
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald North /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    If you're willing to spend the $$$ for the HD800s, why not power them with a similar caliber amplifier so you can hear them at their fullest potential?

This is more of a temporary measure moreso than a long term one as I have no home amp at all and I'm pretty much just getting into home audio.

8. Currawong Contributor
    What's your current source? A good amp for them will be useless if you don't have a very good CD player or DAC.

9. Jarmel
    Right now I have an Imod and a portable Vcap(it looks like I might have to buy a home dock though).

10. Currawong Contributor
    I think you need a seriously better DAC as well. You could probably pick up a good amp and DAC, specially if you go second-hand, for $1k.

11. Jarmel
    Any suggestions?

12. Runkby
    i bought the benchmark dac 1 hdr (already had the pre and im still waiting on it)... it sounded very good with my sennheiser hd 650's and if all you want is that amp you can get it for about 500 ... but i have heard very good things about the grahm slee solo amp... i think thats around 700, but i've heard a lot of people say that it's a great match with the hd 650... id also imagine that it would be a good match w/ the hd 800 but thats anywones guess for now... i would love, however, to hear the hd 800's but thats gonna be a while i think... but back to your questoin... even though i have the benchmark dac1 hdr on the way now i am still considering addign a better quality amp to it and the grahm slee solo is def one of my contenders... and i've also heard good things about the woo audio tube amps but i have not treid that one either yet, but the reviews are all very positive for woo, provided taht you like the tube sound... but as someone else in this thread said you really need to have a good source when driving such a good headphoen just plugging a good amp, even with the hd 800's, will not sound good if you are playing mp3's using your comptuers sound card... but i assume, being that you bought the hd 800's, that you have other good stuff... i hope you like the hd 800's b/c so far i am in love with the hd650's and im just waiting to hear more about the 800s before i may too own a pair [​IMG]

13. peanuthead
    Woo Audio 2 for $990. Done. [​IMG]

14. Jarmel
    So the Woo Audio 2 would be the best use of 1k?

15. Currawong Contributor
    If you're just using an iPod as the source, IMO, definitely not.

Next

Last