Looking for Amp/DAC for KEF LS50
Jul 25, 2020 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

LunaticPandora

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am looking for awesome speakers to listen to classical music and I found a few options:

KEF LS50 Mini Monitor (haven't bought them yet, but there is a lot of hype associated with these...not sure about them) /

DYNAUDIO Excite X14 Monitor Loudspeaker (These are the alternative I found to the KEFs)

Benchmark DAC2 HGC /

NAD Masters Series M22 Stereo power amplifier
(These were recommended in 2018 by a reviewer on Amazon of the KEF LS50s)

(alternatively I found Vincent Audio SV 237MK Hybrid Stereo Integrated Amp) this is a vacuum tube amp which is more interesting than the NAD Masters... but not sure what to go with.

Lehmann black cube preamp

Are the KEF LS50 too small, should I consider another option? Room is small/medium sized.

Any thoughts on the DAC/Amp listed above?
The Benchmark DAC and NAD Masters amp are supposedly perfect for the KEF LS50s which require a lot of power, based on one very detailed review of the KEF speakers. The Dynaudio speakers are apparently easier to drive.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #2 of 10
Are you talking about the passive LS50 or the LS50W? And yes, they definitely are enough for a small to medium room either way (assuming sufficient amplification). You may want to add a powered subwoofer depending on what kind of music you listen to and how much bass you like, though.

That said? I'm definitely a big speaker fan. I'm using a pair of Martin Logan reQuests in a ~10x14ft room, so...

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 10
When I had the passive LS50, it was paired with a Peachtree Audio Nova 150. Great integrated amp with a nice ESS DAC and more than enough power.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #4 of 10
I personally wouldn't go with less than ~250 wpc at 8 ohms if going with the passive LS50, and DIRAC DSP if budget will allow. Granted, for that money I'd... Just get the LS50W.

Add a sub and you have speakers covered!

Jul 26, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #5 of 10
I personally wouldn't go with less than ~250 wpc at 8 ohms if going with the passive LS50, and DIRAC DSP if budget will allow. Granted, for that money I'd... Just get the LS50W.

Hey, not sure what you're saying--kind of new to this. I didn't think wireless speakers would be able to compete--expected the difference would be primarily aesthetic at the cost of quality.

Jul 26, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #6 of 10
The LS50W have dedicated amps built in, 200 watts a piece for the woofers, 40 watts a piece for the tweeters. They're "wireless", but not really. Have to be plugged in to the wall, and I believe a cable runs between them.

I think the general consensus is the LS50W actually sound better in most cases.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #7 of 10
The LS50W have dedicated amps built in, 200 watts a piece for the woofers, 40 watts a piece for the tweetets. They're "wireless", but not really. Have to be plugged in to the wall, and I believe a cable runs between them.

I think the general consensus is the LS50W actually sound better in most cases.

That helps a lot, thanks! Do you think the LS50W would benefit from a great DAC and amp or is it not as necessary? What would you recommend for the sub?

Jul 26, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #8 of 10
The DAC and amp are built in. They do have an analog input, so you could use an external DAC I suppose, but I don't think most do. Accessories4Less (well known legit e-shop) has certified refurbs for $1450. That's the way I'd go (or pick up a used pair if you can find them much cheaper).

Jul 27, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #9 of 10
I'm using a Burson Bang (28wpc @ 8 ohms) with the passive LS50's in a near-field set-up. I'm thrilled with how well this set-up is performing.

Jul 31, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #10 of 10

It seems like a lot of people have connection problems with the LS50w. So I am thinking of going with the passive LS50 and the DIRAC DSP you recommended. Couldn't find the DIRAC anywhere. Do you have any other suggestions for DAC/amp? Is there a place I can search for one given the specifications you mentioned - 250+ wpc/8 ohms ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back