Looking for alternative to V-Moda Forza Metallo
Aug 21, 2019 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

chestwood96

New Head-Fier
Hello again HeadFi

Last time I asked for recommendations here I got pretty good results, so I hope you don't mind if I try again.

Here a little backstory (tldr at the end):

I was pretty happy with the "Creative Aurvana Air" I got recommended, however they did not last very long (about 10-14 months). I do carry my headphones rolled up in my pocket pretty much all the time so it is understandably a pretty rough environment.

When my 2. pair started to give up I decided to find some more durable ones. I also decided to bite the bullet and just get in-ears. I ended up finding the Forza Metallo, which was advertised as super durable with "reinforced cable" and stuff like that. Reviews also looked pretty good.

So I ordered some and was pretty happy about them. To my surprise they were super comfortable, the main reason I avoided in-ears in the first place (guess it was just a bad experience with the cheapo in-ears I had before). And sounded way better than anything I ever had before. All is well.

Six months later there was a loose contact developing in the plug. Kinda ironic since durability was one of my main deciding factors in buying them. Customer service was very nice and would replace them if I sent them a video of cutting the cable. So I did, but they did not actually have replacements for my model available, but they would send me the wireless version a couple weeks later.

Gr8 I needed them for skiing holidays, so I just took the cut ones and soldered a new connector to them (I feel kinda bad for abusing their thrust like that but it was the only way to get working headphones in time).

My bodge worked great for the holidays and I got the replacement a couple weeks after. I was not a fan of the bluetooth and just tossed them in a drawer and kept using the bodged wired ones.

They lasted about a year after that but the cable kept disintegrating (the "Reinforcement stripes" disappeared and the outer transparent layer started coming of and the inner black part got kinda gooey) and then the right earbud became quieter and quieter. I ordered a full generic cable with headset from china a while ago when the shedding of the wire started, so I thought I'd better fix this before skiing holidays (again, can they sense that XD). Well the right earbud was still quiet with the new cable and it was two days before leaving again. So i just decided to just screw it and cut the right earbud from the wireless one. Working headphones again.

Another six months later (now) the left earbud is starting the same getting quieter thing, and I am probably going to replace it with the one on the wireless one later. So what I am taking from that is the earbuds themselves have about a 1.5 to 2 year lifespan. Meaning I have maybe 1-1.5 years left on them if I am lucky.

TLDR: I like them, but they break a lot (at least in my use) so I want to try something else.

So what I am looking for is headphones with similar shape and comfort.

Criteria:
  • Similar shape (I use the small earpiece)
  • Do not stick too far out of the ear (I lay on them sometimes)
  • Similar or better sound quality
  • Headset buttons and Microphone
  • Durability (Gotta watch out for marketing there since the 10$ chinesium cable held up way better than the "ultra durable" abomination on the original cables, that stuff practically dissolved).
Nice to have:
  • Replaceable cables (well without a soldering iron XD)
  • "Ear wings" or whatever they call them that don't fall of so easily (They did send me replacements which was pretty nice)
  • Easily available in Switzerland
  • Straight 3.5mm connector
I am still looking for a 100-150$ price range.

Aug 21, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #2 of 4
You might look into a Campfire Comet and see what you think. It has an excellent cable and is in my opinion very well-made, like Campfire products in general. It is a bit over budget, but you can sometimes find B stock items for less from Campfire. Also, not sure about the sleeping thing--never tried to do that. Another possibility is the RHA MA750, which I also like quite a lot. Great warranty, which could be helpful for your particular situation.

Aug 21, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #3 of 4
Well that was quick.

The campfire looks kinda similar size wise but it is a bit on the expensive side and more importantly from the warranty page and the manual it looks like it is quite fragile. Also looks a bit too much like a fashion statement to me.

The MA750i on the other hand looks really interresting. Ticks allmost all the boxes, gonna have to check the size but that thing looks interresting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back